• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10 and 12 m exports

gamegetter

Aug 25, 2010
With all the illegal exports, how do you know you are talking to an actual ham? What if other person just makes up a fake call no. And here you are a legal operator and you send out your call sign. The other person could locate you if they wanted to. Is this a problem? I am newer ham just getting started and just thought I would ask.:confused:

A lot of logging programs will interface to QRZ.com or some other callsign server so that when you type in the call of the other station a search is made. Of course, none are authoritative except the FCC's own ULS database. If you're unsure, keep a browser tab open to ULS and do a search. If they show up as unexpired, they're legit. If not, terminate the QSO and look for the next station.

I've worked a few bootleggers that I didn't know were such until after the fact. In fact, I've had the privilege of having my call bootlegged from various choice DX locations on 6m. As I don't have a passport, tweren't me.

With all the illegal exports, how do you know you are talking to an actual ham? What if other person just makes up a fake call no. And here you are a legal operator and you send out your call sign. The other person could locate you if they wanted to. Is this a problem? I am newer ham just getting started and just thought I would ask.:confused:

You don't.

Also, identity theft really doesn't exist in the amateur community.

Well if its a Galaxy its usually warbling and or drifting around the frequency so thats a given otherwise I have to admit it would be hard to tell thats why I say to new ham operators that an RCI 2950 or used 2970 or a UNIDEN HR-2510 or 2600 is a good less expensive starter radio before diving into the hobby head first and spending lots of money to decide you really dont get into the hobby to justify the spending.

As far as the other questions just relax and dont worry so much ;) Ive never heard of a mishap due to Amatuer radio info hell for that matter ANYONE can get the info they need on anyone Ham operator or not its all good. And Ive heard unlicensed kids on the 80 meter band most likely playing with daddys radio when dad was gone or at work but I sure wouldnt want to be caught by the FCC or worse yet my daddy who understands the aftermath of being caught or busted doing this .

A lot of logging programs will interface to QRZ.com or some other callsign server so that when you type in the call of the other station a search is made. Of course, none are authoritative except the FCC's own ULS database. If you're unsure, keep a browser tab open to ULS and do a search. If they show up as unexpired, they're legit. If not, terminate the QSO and look for the next station.

That wouldn't work very well for DX contacts now would it?

Also what if I were to call you using the call VE1AWA and the name is Roy? If you looked it up you would find it is a legit callsign and the licensee is in fact named Roy. The problem is that my name is Garth and VE1AWA belongs to a buddy of mine in Sydney. I live about 200 miles southwest of him. :whistle:

All this 'export' business is a 'work-around' to sell manufacture and sell 'CB' radios not legal for use in the USA by 'CB'ers. What could it possibly be except that?
The 'CB' service and the 'ham' service are two completely different types of services who's only connection is that they deal with using radios. They are defined and have completely different requirements and rules governing them.
Hams, or through Part-97, have the privilege of building or modifying equipment for their use. That privilege is 'paid for' with the responsibility of passing a license exam which covers some very basic checks about safety (don't kill yourself immediately) and minimum electronic standards you have to comply with. Taking and passing that license test just is supposed to show that you know those requirements. Keeping that license depends on complying with the requirements. Since there is no licensing requirements for 'CB', there's no corresponding 'privileges', you can't do any building/modifying. Simple as that. But there IS the requirement of reading the Part-95 rules! Which means you also have the requirement of following them. The way it's set up, just using a CB radio says you will comply with them. Don't like that part? Fine, change it. But do that 'changing' in the right way, or you are still 'wrong'. That's about as simple as it gets really. Same thing applies to driving a car, owning property, whatever, it's just a different set of rules.
Identity theft.
If you want to use someone else's call sign, you will eventually get found out. If someone sks you for a QSL card for a contact you didn't make (more common than you might think), tell them the truth, that they weren't talking to you. That can certainly cause problems, but if it wasn't you, you can't be held responsible for whatever 'they' did. Getting anyone to believe you might take a while though.
Suit yourself... Just be aware of the consequences, you know?
- 'Doc

(You can call your dog a bird, but I wanna see it fly or lay eggs.)

Last edited:
The other "clue" about the so-called "10 Meter 'Amateur' (NOT!!!!) Radios" is the "bands" of "channels". That is a sure sign of illegality. CB radio has ONE "BAND" of 40 channels. Period. Amateur radios don't even USE "band" switches anymore........not really, since most of them now will tune continuously from 500 KHZ to 30 MHZ on HF without the need for band switches. Nope! The so-called "band" switches are one of the selling features to encourage non-legal operators to "freeband" or filch other frequencies that belong to other legal users. They are not certified for use ON CB, they never will BE, and they are not legal to be used in "dual-service"; that is, used for both amateur and CB use. Like Doc said, if you're gonna do CB, do it with a CB radio. If you're gonna ham it up, use a correct amateur radio that doesn't LOOK LIKE, ACT LIKE,
TALK LIKE, or SQUEAK and BEEP like a CB radio!:laugh: Keep the two activities separate. "When in Rome, do as the Romans do"

CWM

Thanks

I obviously opened a touchy subject and I appreciate the opportunity to learn. (Seems i learn everything at the school of hard knocks:bdh:)

I am licensed ham and am keeping the cb and ham separate, although as mentioned it sure is difficult not to buy an export--it is so easy and they talk them up. But with the forum's help I have been able to differentiate the two. I have also learned how to choose radios for each hobby. Thanks again to the forum (y)

The other "clue" about the so-called "10 Meter 'Amateur' (NOT!!!!) Radios" is the "bands" of "channels". That is a sure sign of illegality. CB radio has ONE "BAND" of 40 channels. Period.

CWM should really do some fact checking. The U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida says both you and the FCC are full of it. The court's opinion is really the only one that matters.

Attached is an Order and Judgment from a recent court case (2009) where the FCC tried to prosecute based on nonsense like this. Please read it in its entirety.

Attachments

• order.msj.pdf
    50.5 KB · Views: 556
  • judgment.pdf
    105.6 KB · Views: 231
I obviously opened a touchy subject and I appreciate the opportunity to learn. (Seems i learn everything at the school of hard knocks:bdh:)

I am licensed ham and am keeping the cb and ham separate, although as mentioned it sure is difficult not to buy an export--it is so easy and they talk them up. But with the forum's help I have been able to differentiate the two. I have also learned how to choose radios for each hobby. Thanks again to the forum (y)

Gamegetter,

You can use whatever radio you like on the ham bands, as long as it complies with the emissions standards. You can convert your toaster into a radio, if that sounds like fun to you. That is the WHOLE point of Amateur Radio - experimenting and hobbying. If you want to buy a 10 meter radio to use on the ham bands, go right ahead. Just remember that you're not supposed to use it on 11 meters. Even web sites like Universal Radio that print things like "This device has not been approved by the F.C.C. This device may not be offered for sale or lease or be sold or leased until approval of the F.C.C. has been obtained." are making invalid statements. That statement simply is not accurate when it comes to Amateur Radio transceivers. Even the "list" of so-called "Illegal CB Transceivers" that appears on QTH.com is B.S. As you can tell from reading that last court Order, I posted, the court didn't even consider that list as a valid argument by the FCC. The facts are, that list was compiled from someone in the FCC that doesn't even have authority to publish it!

Bottom line - on Amateur frequencies you can use whatever you want - just make sure your transmissions are legal.

molecule, you answered a question that was on my mind...about using an export on just the ham bands and not converting it to 11 meters, cuz even though i am saving for a KW TS 2000 or something comparable, I might want to get a 10 and or 12 meter lower priced export along the way and just start learning and getting more practice with the codes and lingo.

Cuz for a while there I was thinking all exports were illegal even on the ham bands. My bad i got that one now.:laugh:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.