• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10 Meter/6 Meter Parasitic Dipole

A fan dipole is multiple resonant dipoles connected to a common feedline. This sounds to me as the same as the one described in the link.

i.e. I have a 20m/40m fan dipole. This would be a 10m/6m variant.

To add - yeah, I guess this isn't directly connected to the coax (hard to tell) and they claim capacitive (lossy?) coupling as opposed to the direct connection.
The 6 meter dipole is not directly connected to the coax, hence the "parasitic" coupling. Just wondering how well that works.

I was wondering the same thing so I modeled this antenna from both the 6m and 10m perspectives.

In these models, the 10 meter antenna is mounted 18 feet above moderate ground, and the 6 meter antenna is a few inches above that. Also, these antennas are made out of T6 aluminum and tuned for low SWR, not resonance.

For these models I will show the 6 meter antenna info first, and the 10 meter second.

To start, lets look at the general data.

6md.jpg
10md.jpg

Here we see that the 6 meter parasitically fed antenna does have more losses due to the aluminum material I used in the model. Of 100% of the power being fed to the antenna, at 6 meters 0.36% of that is being lost compared to 0.1% on the 10 meter antenna from the aluminum being used in the antenna itself.

However, after things like ground losses are factored in, the 6 meter antenna more than makes up for this difference, with 71.28% of its signal making it to the antenna's far field, while the 10 meter antenna has 63.8% of its signal making it to the far field.

So, according to modeling, the answer to the questions on efficiency of having a parasitic elements of a different band, their doesn't seem to be a problem with efficiency.

Next, I'll show the current distribution.

6mc.jpg

10mc.jpg

One thing to notice here is on the 6 meter model most of the current is flowing on the parasitic element. The parasitic feeding of the 6m antenna is working very well.

Next the SWR curves for this antenna.

6mswr.jpg
10mswr.jpg

Here we see the parasitic element can be tuned to present a low SWR, however, the 2:1 SWR bandwidth on the 6 meter band is not very wide, in this case covering about half of the 6 meters band. This low SWR point can be adjusted to other parts of the band by adjusting the parasitic antenna length.

I also want to point out that once you get the parasitic element length for the antenna to show resonance where you want it, you can actually fine tune the R variable at resonance (and by extension SWR) by moving the parasitic element closer or further away from the driven element. Because of this I was able to get the low SWR point of the 6 meters band below that of the 10 meters band.

Now for the gain.

vp.jpg

You have all seen enough of this type of plot, so I will let you draw your own conclusions...

The DB

Reactions: HomerBB and tba02
Two antennas and only one feedline. I like the looks of this but am wondering how well the 6 meter portion works. Can't find any reviews and haven't seen any other antennas using this design.
Thoughts?

http://www.freqdev.com/ham/10 Meter and 6 Meter Rotatable Half Wave Dipole Antenna.pdf

There was another thread here somewhere about that same idea. someone was wanting to build such an antenna and someone else posted that same link. the idea is sound and works well. The Hygain Explorer 14 tribander uses a similar driven element configuration and by all accounts the antenna works VERY well. I hope so. I have one to go up in the spring/summer. LOL The EXplorer 14 uses a dual band trapped driven element for 15m and 20m and uses two isolated and parasitic elements spaced about six inches from that for 10m. They use the term open sleeve dipole and it is essentially "shock excited" on 10m from the RF that is fed to the 15/20m element. By using proper lengths and spaces the antenna resonates on 10m just as well as on 15m or 20m. Hygain uses this method on this antenna to increase the efficiency and bandwidth on 15m and 20m because it eliminates another trap (the 10m trap) from the driven element.

EXP-14_THUMB.jpg

http://www.hy-gain.com/Downloads/index.php?productid=EXP-14&filename=EXP-14.pdf&company=hygain

Reactions: HomerBB

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated