• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10 meter FM simplex range

KC8CAY

Aug 25, 2010
So my uncle and I want to communicate via 10 meter FM simplex (he has his technician and an old Radio shack 10m mobile). He lives about 150 miles away. Could we regularly reach each other on 10 meter FM simplex? We are both using 10m verticals.

I think 150 miles would be a stretch for 10 meters simplex FM.I am not saying that it cant be done ....I just dont see it being done on a regular basis.
10 meters has about the same characteristics as CB

I would think that using 2 meters and try to access a repeater that is about half way between you both would stand a better chance of reliable contacts

Reactions: 1 person
i often work the New York area 1o meter repeaters from Florida, but, .....not on a regular basis.

you best option, get him to upgrade to at least General,

you WILL be able to use an easily constructed NVIS antenna (y)on 75 for 24/7 comms at that distance

2 ssb or 6ssb

would be great,and can run up to 1500wts as tech.I have worked mbls on 6ssb from one side of Missouri to the other and just running dipole and 100 wts,and him running a 706mk2g at 75wts and a mbl antenna...6 or 2 ssb would be the best bet,73 de JW

10 meter FM simplex depending on antenna gain, height and power would be about 90 miles under all those best conditions assuming about 100 watts.
FM repeaters ranges are about 60 mile to a mobile when the repeater is high and to mobile is on high ground.

Like i said and another

person said he cant run 10am or fm...so the 10fm or repeaters is out,the best bet is 2 mtr ssb or 6ssb...you and him can run 1500 wts on 2 mtrs and 6mtrs all modes...73 de n0zna

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated