• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10 meter radio listening to interesting frequencies?

Limeybastard

May 29, 2017
Shady Hills Massive, FL.
Hi,
Was just wondering which frequency do I need to dial into to be able to listen to HAM radio broadcasts?I wont be keying up, just wanted to listen to. I did view a video on youtube, some fella was talking about europe dx coming in on the 10 meter range during the days. Can anyone explain?

cheers

When skip is rolling on 11 meters I will scan 10 meters but it is not veryoften I hear anything. I did hear some operators Friday on 28.400, they were all in the east or Midwest states.

Right now much of 10 meters occasionally opens up to what's called sporadic E which is propagation from the E layer of the atmosphere. Most propagation from this region is limited to around 800 kilometers to as much as 1600.

We are near bottoming out of this current solar cycle and the next one starts in 2019. For now, any upper band propagation is a gift.

When 10 meters opens up it is a great band. I have made many DX contacts even from my mobile rig as far away as China and other parts of the east Orient. It's not likely I'll do that again anytime soon.

Feel free to listen to the Amateur bands but don't transmit without a license. This might interest you in getting licensed yourself.

You can try listen in to a popular 10 meter repeater located in New York when the band is open. This one I occasionally use if I have enough propagation to reach it. Many Europeans and South Americans use this one too. The frequency is 29.620 MHz on FM mode.

Other things to consider ... location, time of day. If the receiving station is in the North east corner or sitting on the equator early in the morning they are going to hear things that a station in the Pacific northwest in the mid afternoon won't hear a peep.

When this cycle was at its peak a few years ago, the stations in eastern Canada were all raving about the European stations overwhelming them on 10/11m. Here in western Canada, it was two hours later for the party to arrive at half the signal level. Last week some OP in the far east of Canada mentioned of a few European contacts on T5, nothing here in the west. I have found this NASA map to be a good initial indicator if you are in a location that may have a chance;

https://iono.jpl.nasa.gov/latest_rti_global.html

All I am getting around here now is sporadic E. with contacts being made in the Pacific northwest.

Last edited:
Reactions: Limeybastard

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?