• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

100 Watt Radios

C2C3PO,
I think the 'vintage' stuff is sought after for a couple of reasons. Price is probably the biggy, and I can certainly understand that. Another reason, at least for vintage ham equipment, is that the 'newer' radios are not designed to do AM mode very well. They do certainly do AM but not in the same manner. Radios that do AM are typically 'simpler' than those designed for SSB or other modes. That 'cost' thingy again.
If you take an honest look at most CB radios, they haven't 'changed' in a lot of years, same controls, configuration, etc. Oh well.
That are other reason, naturally, but those are a few that have 'struck' me.
- 'Doc

Okay, thanks guys. I didn't mean to hijack the thread but I wanted a clearer understanding of why the bias was generally towards older models.
I am in the market for a "new" all mode/multi-band radio ($1500 max) and would much prefer a good "all-in-one" ham radio (if one exists) to buying a ham rig and a separate export radio, so this is all useful info !

I will have to look at them more closely as I will admit I have never given them much thought as I will be setting this radio up in a remote location where there is no internet.
Are these units not heavily driven by software, updates and connectivity with the internet?

Okay, thanks guys. I didn't mean to hijack the thread but I wanted a clearer understanding of why the bias was generally towards older models.
I am in the market for a "new" all mode/multi-band radio ($1500 max) and would much prefer a good "all-in-one" ham radio (if one exists) to buying a ham rig and a separate export radio, so this is all useful info !

The clear bias is because people only want to pay $1500 which pretty much restricts you to older gear or entry level current gear that's several years old in design. :p

I've got several new designs I would recommend but you won't be buying them for $1500 and as far as I know, three of them can't be MARS modded without written proof of eligibility.

I think the reason most CB/Export radios fail prematurely is that the golden screwdrivers are only worried about getting the most watts on a meter to impress the guy who brought the radio to them in the first place. Couple that to a bad install, and poof; magic smoke.

I bought a Connex 4600T new from a local guy...it would only run wide open, and got so hot after a minute that you couldn't touch it. I'm sure it would have burnt up had I kept using it. I finally found a guy that specialized in the 4600T at the time (he was in Ohio, on I-70) and he reworked the entire thing, enabled the limiter, turned the power down so it could be controlled by the variable, among other things. Ran that radio a long time after that for a good many miles and never had a problem. I wish I still had that 4600.

Point being, the radio is only as good as the guy turning the screwdriver.
I know this an old thread but if you remember what did the guy set up you variable power at low and high dead key I know this is old thread but what did you have he Hi and Lo deadkeys set on you 4600 Turbo

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated