• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

102 inch antenna

Xitami

Apr 1, 2017
Just wondering, do many ops use the 102 inch mobile antenna in the usa?, what is the most popular mobile antenna do you think?

Don't see too many 102" whips out there. Probably the most popular are your standard 4 or 5 ft fiberglass antenna. I personally use a wilson 1000 mag mount on my pickup but will be swapping out to a 5ft fiberglass antenna soon. The Wilson works great for me,but it is too tall for my carport.

I've used one, but as w9cll says, it's hard to mount them on a sub-compact. They're pretty rough on the sheet metal when they aren't bumper mounted.
It was my second favorite mobile antenna, probably would have been my favorite if I could have center mounted it. With it mounted on the center of the rear bumper it made for monster signal towards the front end.
Give me good skip and a parking lot and i was mobile with a beam.

I run a wilson 1000 because like codeman, I've got a low roof parking structure and need the flexibility of the little stainless whip to get in the garage, otherwise I'd be running one of my top load fiberglass antennas.

All cool, glad to see they are still used some, i got 2 stacked on my nissian vanette, they not done with the coax harness but with a 50ohm toroid so i can run 50ohm coax to each antenna.
So yes they are in-phase, not out of phase like a coax harness, so both xmit at the same moment in the cycle, works way better me thinks, love 102s.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Early this morning, I went into a Bosselmans truck stop, in Nebraska, and found some 102" steel whips. I bought two of them.

Oddly, they had no 6" springs to go with them. Nor did they have anything else with which to add six inches. That's ok, though. I'll find it, elsewhere.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.