• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

102 inch antenna

Ok, New area for my 102" whip. On the rear bumper corner on my pickup it has great low swr 1.1

But I want to move it to the center of my alum toolbox . When installed to the lower center it looked great but swr was 2.5 Grounds are all good. Is it because the antenna is mounted so low down in the bed of the pickup?
Is the toolbox itself bonded solidly to the bed of the vehicle, and from there to the chassis? Maybe all four corners of the toolbox?

Reactions: Pamm r
Early this morning, I went into a Bosselmans truck stop, in Nebraska, and found some 102" steel whips. I bought two of them.

Oddly, they had no 6" springs to go with them. Nor did they have anything else with which to add six inches. That's ok, though. I'll find it, elsewhere.
How much were they? Was it the Bosselmans in Grand Island?

How much were they? Was it the Bosselmans in Grand Island?

We'll, this was back in April, and my memory is fuzzy, but I think that they were about $35 each.

I don't recall the name of the town, either. But, looking at my truck stop book, I believe that it was the Bosselman's at exit 312, on I80. It's the only Bosselman's truck stop that I have seen fit to highlight, so that must be it.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Don't see too many 102" whips out there. Probably the most popular are your standard 4 or 5 ft fiberglass antenna. I personally use a wilson 1000 mag mount on my pickup but will be swapping out to a 5ft fiberglass antenna soon. The Wilson works great for me,but it is too tall for my carport.
I love my 102" RS whip, about 10 years old when I put it on the Lincoln T.C. man was the ol'lady PISSED! that little antenna was for my scanner but since has been replaced with a Larson 2m/440cm antenna. oh yes, that is a breedlove mount, and inside the trunk is two mix 31 snap on ferrite beads 4-5 turns of rg-8x ;)20160107_135503_1515490021416.jpg

Very popular in the 70's and I always had one on my car. A 1968 Plymouth Fury III with a big old chrome bumper and chain mount for the whip.. Car's haven't had bumpers like that for a long long time.

Used a an ancient GE iron ball mount on the LR fender of my last Chrysler (1971). Nothing like a unitbody car for few bond problems.

Sorry the car & that mount are gone, but a 102” with a ball mount I’m likely to use on my aluminum travel trailer (also “as in the old days”). Couldn’t figure how to “fix” a puncture caused by a 60-mph rock from a yard crew . . . and then it hit me!!

I’ve wanted to buy BREEDLOVE quality parts, and here’s a nice example by someone:

BD8E8EE8-7B2E-40BB-B801-3B862D5C591E.jpeg

Shaping & riveting some 5005 will be some work, and have to figure everything else. (Like, how to remove interior ceiling).

Luckily it’s forward enough and across from both areas I have radio installations. Best of all on street side. No awning interference. And almost 9’ high at base. Close to top of a 35’ x 9’ aluminum roof.

Anyone ever find a HD hold-down? The rain gutter (remember those) clips I had years ago were non-UV resistant plastic.

DX Engineering also sells 102s

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
They have them on ebay but they are like 25.00
102 whips?

And I paid $60 something for mine on Amazon a few months ago.

It's mounted on the right rear corner of my 78 CJ5, on a bracket I made that is using two 1/2" bumper mounting bolts to mount it to the bumper and frame. Bought a gutter clip to secure the tip to the windshield frame for low clearance areas. One of these days I'll check SWR, but so far it works just fine.

I have one on a Gunny riser, driver side rear of S10 bed, also swap out with an old rat shack fiber glass 4 footer that does ok.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.