• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

102 question ?

B

BOOTY MONSTER

i know all antennas/stingers flex at least a lil when driving , some more so than others . i think most will agree that a 102 inch SS whip will flex/bend back considerably more than most and a spring can make that even more-so . i also know as surrounding change as the vehicle moves that it can cause some swr fluctuations . with that 102 laying back in the wind much closer to the vehicle , does that affect the reflection/swr of the antenna not to mention reducing its height advantage since its laid back and no longer vertical ?

is it enough to cause problems or possibly damage the radio or amp over time ?

Guys used to tie some light fishing line about half way up the 102 to add support and it would not bend near as far.

The height that you need to worry about is the feedpoint.

SWR sway is negligable for your standard install (~1.5 as said).

Also, when mobile, just think you are 1/2 way to flatside.

Just installed a 102...I checked SWRs both at standstill and at 70mph. There was a 0.05 difference from 1:1 to 1.05:1...and that might have been from passing cars, overhead wires, etc...

It was not as significant as I was imagining. And this antenna leans back about 2 feet at least, and the SWRs were checked with an external RatShack meter that has been compared to three others (it is accurate).

A friend of mine was running a 9' steel whip on the roof of his Dodge Dakota and I was running a Predator 10K on the roof of my Silverado. We had a keydown....his 2x8 pill vs my 4 pill, needless to say he won. On the way back on I-95 going about 80 mph I was able to key on him easily. We then slowed up to 45 and he started killing me again.
He has a cross needle Daiwa meter in line and his SWR doesn't increase much at all but his system doesn't do very well at highway speeds.

I've only had mine in a few days...can't really tell any difference moving or not...however, I don't have the spring which prevents it from laying back nearly as far.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated