• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter (M103c) Antenna for Shortwave...

Ferrarimx5

Reading the mail
Apr 7, 2012
Florida
Before I set up a 260 foot long wire across my back yard, would there be any advantage to using my MaCo 103C and a rotor for Short Wave reception?

I would like the fact that I could turn to tune in a stronger signal reception.
Would this work better than a long line?

I guess I could do both an then compare, but there must be a good reason most people don't use their beams for shortwave reception..

The M-103 will only be directional near it's design frequency. It will work quite well for frequencies above 25 MHz but with the sunspot cycle where it is you won't be hearing much. Below about 25 MHz both directionality and performance will fall off sharply. There is a reason antennas are a certain size as related to the frequency they are designed for. Go with the long wire and make it as long and as high as you can. You can't go wrong with that. Back in the 80's I was into SWL quite heavily and had a Wilson Shooting Star dual polarity beam. It could not hold a candle to my 600 foot wire antenna on the lower bands or even my dipole which had 66 foot long legs for a total length of 132 feet.

Reactions: 222DBFL
Best to either run a long wire or get a discone antenna. Those work best for SW listening. Just my experience.

Long-wire it is: Multi Strand, 10 gauge with insulation, 260 feet long at 8 feet above the ground.

Hooked up to a Hallicrafters S-108..

Last edited:
Unless you wwnt to do some AM broadcast DX'ing or listen to longwave try half that length as a start. Little is to be gained for general listening by going to great lengths. I had great reception with a 75 foot antenna at one time. The only reason I eventually went with a 600 foot antenna was my interest in European AM stations and worldwide longwave stations. That and the fact it worked REAL good into Japan on 20m.I could hear an ant fart in Nagasaki :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated