• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter Magnetic Loop antenna

NF822WNY

Aug 4, 2017
Western NY
I have been thinking about a little project making a cb go box and was wondering it is possible to make a 200 watt magnetic look antenna. I have a mag loop from doxytronics that i use for shortwave listening but the transmit power cant be beyond 25 Watts PEP. I am not sure if this is even possible at this wattage being put through it.
Thoughts, Comments?

Beware, that transmitting with magnetic loop is very dangerous to your health.Mike

I agree with Mike.
I have an Alexloop and it is rated at 20 watts PEP and 10 watts Continuous. Since the bandwidth is narrow on this type of an antenna you'll likely be sitting close to it for ease of tuning. I would be worrried about RF exposure at the power you have in mind.

200W only produces a signal barely 2 S points more than a 25W one does to the other station. Height is more important for CB as it is a line of sight communication for local comms and all the power in the world will not get you a contact with someone else on the other side of a hill if the hill is in the way.

200W only produces a signal barely 2 S points more than a 25W one does to the other station. Height is more important for CB as it is a line of sight communication for local comms and all the power in the world will not get you a contact with someone else on the other side of a hill if the hill is in the way.

M0GVZ,
Is 200 watts a health concern when using a magnetic loop?
I mentioned it earlier but don't really know.

M0GVZ,
Is 200 watts a health concern when using a magnetic loop?
I mentioned it earlier but don't really know.

Its not really about the radiated RF

Have you ever seen a bug zapper????

this will be a zapper on steroids! and you will have to tune the cap with power applied.

you REALLY don't want to be anywhere near a 200 watt mag loop.

Magnetic loop antenna is dangerous because of magnetic component it radiates in near field. 25 or 200W.
Of course you can build remote tune circuit, but keep in mind, that small loop have small efficiency and you need very high voltage capacitor.
If you want to have good performer, loop diameter have to be more than 2 meters :) Will it fit your go box?
Download http://www.iw5edi.com/software/magnetic-loop-calculator and see yourself.
Mike

Last edited:
Magnetic loop antenna is dangerous because of magnetic component it radiates in near field. 25 or 200W.
Of course you can build remote tune circuit, but keep in mind, that small loop have small efficiency and you need very high voltage capacitor.
If you want to have good performer, loop diameter have to be more than 2 meters :) Will it fit your go box?
Download http://www.iw5edi.com/software/magnetic-loop-calculator and see yourself.
Mike

Have seen that calculator before. Didn't understand it then, don't understand it now.

I'm old and my hair is already fallin' out, so I'm not going to worry about what my mag loop is doing with the 10 or so watts I'm pushing into it. I do wonder a little about the mysterious raised blister groupings that usualy appear on my neck and upper arms following lengthy QSO's. :((n)o_O

Reactions: Road Squawker
Ok, I try to keep that simple:
1m loop, you put 200W, radiate 34.8W, bandwidth 24kHz, need 6kV capacitor- 575$
3m loop you put 200W, radiate 170W, bandwidth 135kHz, need 5kV capacitor - 325$
1/4 λ wire vertical 5$
Mike

That I understand. LOL.
What I was wondering about was the health hazard of using a mag loop. Was under the impression the calculator provided some info but if it's there I'm not seeing it.

Try to google "magnetic component". My technical English is not good enough to explain that.
Mike

Thanks. Will do.

NF822WNY,

Sorry I hijacked your thread. Hopefully you got or will get the info you need.

Jim

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.