• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base 11m dipole symptoms

Wrong. Dipole need balun.
5 turns of coax 7" diameter right under antenna feedpoint.
or 16 turns of coax 4.25" diameter right under antenna feedpoint.
Google for "choke balun", will give you an idea what I mean :)
I suggest to use some ferrite beads at the coax entrance to your house.
Mike

I suggest to use some ferrite beads at the coax entrance to your house.
Mike

I thought I'd be good to go out of the box, it looks like this .
mCrMjsL2zCBdOnCQQVJ90ng.jpg

I suggest to use some ferrite rings at the coax entrance to your house.
Mike

Two things.

What you are talking about isn't actually a balun, it is a choke. To be a balun it has to force both sided into balance. The chokes made by winding coax only resist the flow of RF in a certain direction, they do not force balance. Either may work for your needs, but they meet those needs in very different ways.

And the dimensions given are not good for CB use. Here is a chart made from actual testing.

choke_impedances.png

Five turns on a seven inch form would be great for the region between the 17 and 20 meter ham bands. 16 turns on a 4.25 inch form would be great for the frequencies just below the 20 meter ham band. If you are talking about the 20 meter ham band, either of these options would be acceptable, however, if CB is what you where you want the choke to work, 5 turns on a 4.25 inch form works very well.

I thought I'd be good to go out of the box, it looks like this .
View attachment 21467

That is likely fine. Many of those have a balun inside the PVC covering. Do you happen to have a link to where you got it, or any other such information for verification?

The DB

For 10 bucks on ebay i doubt there will be a balun in the white container & it looks too small to contain an effective coaxial choke,

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.