• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

12 AWG Wire versus 1/2" Tubing

Riverman

Nov 12, 2013
Calling all antenna professionals and high-ranking amateurs!

There are numerous 1/4 wave 2 Meter ground planes on the internet made from 12 AWG solid copper wire. (I have one.)

Am thinking of making one using 1/2" copper tubing to better handle the wind.

Will there be any notable difference between the two other than durability?

Thanks!

None at all. You may have a very slightly better bandwidth but even 12 Ga wire should cover the entire 2m band. You may have to shorten the element slightly due to the larger diameter. As for performance there will be NO difference.

That was my guess but wanted to double check.
Thanks!

I found 10ga worked best, better than 12ga and 8ga yup somehow go better spread on bandwidth for some reason.

If you have a Hand Book laying around take a look in the antenna section and you will find a way of seeing what the antenna conductor's diameter has on things. Mainly deals with length in relation to diameter. Untill the diameter gets to an appreciable part of a wave length, there will be no significant differences in performance. that diameter/length relationship involves specific frequencies or bands. Typically, diameter makes little difference. If it'll hold it's self up in the air, it's big enough, sort'a. It's more a mechanical thing rather than an electrical thing. 18ga. enamel wire will work just fine if you can make it stand up straight (or side ways). Nice advertising trick though...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.