• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

12V-100AMP Supply for $20.00!!

What about this guy?
Dynex™ - 400-Watt ATX CPU Power Supply - DX-400WPS - Best Buy

If you're not on a mobile, go to Best Buy and search: 8311052

Well; you could get a supply from BB and spend $40 & shipping. At 12.3v, it will deliver about 30 amps. Guys have used that kind of a PS too.

But compared to the server supply, it really doesn't compare. The server PS as mentioned by the original post is 1/2 the cost and has more than twice the amount of amperage available. The server supply I purchased was only $20 - and that included the shipping as well. 75 amps for $20 is a bargain in anybody's book - IMO . . .
;)

My local BB carries them, so no shipping. None of the computer shops near me have a server supply. Ordering electronics from fleaBay is hit or miss, but $20 ain't much and this BB PS is guaranteed to work 98% of the time, every time.

I concur this isn't as good a deal, but an option for some.

HP 20. Dollar supplies

Did anyone ever come up with a fix for the noisy and I do mean noisy fans

THANKS

There are some articles showing how to put resistors inline with the fan power wires. It says what size of resistors to use to have the fans run at half speed. Should be easy to find...

When the supply is used in a mainframe, it runs continuously at full output and needs a lot of cooling. Intermittent use (like powering a radio or linear) requires much less cooling. I removed the original fan assembly, and installed a slower (quieter) one. The supply has a circuit to detect whether the fan is running, so I built a 555 oscillator @ 360 hz and connected it an shown.
Using resistors to slow the fans works, but the resistors generate a LOT of heat which requires more cooling. :headbang

Untitled.png

Here's what I'm trying to reduce the fan noise.

Snip the red wire from one fan and the black from the other. Place a 39 ohm 1W resistor between the lines going to the fans and heat shrink the other ends. Do not connect these wires together! They are just covered with the same piece of heat shrink.

Instead of 12V to each fan, they operate at less than half voltage, about 140mA current through each in series. The resistor is in the air flow from one of the fans to ensure it remains well cooled.

There is considerably less noise compared to the original screaming fans!

Attachments

• 12VPS.jpg
    12VPS.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 483
Reactions: 1 person
Does anyone have a link to the mods for the Dell PowerEdge power supply? I just got one off ebay for $16 shipped, been searching all afternoon but no luck yet.

Thanks Lee

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.