• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

13n10 mosfet into cobra 29wx issues

some 29's do not have the slug in it from the factory. over the years I have been the 1st to open the radio and no slug in L14. you can run the swing mod on the mosfet with no problems. its just some ones opinion about a swing mod.

Reactions: 543_Dallas
Well the swing mod fixed both problems. Gate voltage is now a cool 1.95 volts and the radio dks 2w and swings to 20+. Did a 47 ohm resistor and 330 uf electrolytic, which changed my on-air tone to somewhere between Barry Manilow and Louis Armstrong. Neat.

Well the swing mod fixed both problems. Gate voltage is now a cool 1.95 volts and the radio dks 2w and swings to 20+. Did a 47 ohm resistor and 330 uf electrolytic, which changed my on-air tone to somewhere between Barry Manilow and Louis Armstrong. Neat.
I thought it would change my voice to Rod Serling; but ended up sounding like Daffy Duck.
...Oh well . . .

I thought for sure you fried your mod transformer? 13n10 I get a solid 55 pep everytime. I don't ever use the companion parts, just a voltage divider and an 8 volt source. I use the TIP mod to adjust the carrier but 47 ohms is low, surprised you got me watts carrier, was thinking more like 3 watts. 470 microfarads or more lets in more of the lower tones. I keep the gate at 3.5 also .

Reactions: smalltiredart
Im contemplating the TIP120 mod. Already have a 10k pot attached to the TIP with the cap mounted on the transistor. I had a bad experience with that mod once, which is why I have the entire setup outside of the radio.

The transformer definitely got hot, I guess not long enough to hurt it though as the radio still works.

I do mine l;ike 711 does and have never had a problem with a good increase in the carrier and the tip mod if done right does not increase the temp at the trasnsformer

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.