• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

142GTL power supply "mod" New three prong, earthed cord?

LeapFrog

Wielding Hanlon's Razor
Feb 15, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Hello everyone, I am going to upgrade the power wire on my 142 GTL base.
The new cord has an earth connection.
As you can see in the schematic (circled in red) originally this unit comes with a resistor 2.2M Ohm R424 taking one leg of AC to chassis, can I remove this resistor and instead fuse the other AC lead, and attach an earth wire directly to the chassis from my new cords 3rd wire?
[photo="medium"]4653[/photo] .
I am thinking if I use a grounded wire that I wont need R424, should I worry about fusing the primary & secondary side of the transformer? What purpose does R424 serve?

Thank You All, & Best Regards.

Last edited:

the way I would do this is leave the fuse where it is at and the resister. the fuse is on the hot wire and the resister is on the neutral wire. most ac home circuits the neutral and ground are wired together at the fuse box. then go ahead and put the ground to the case. make sure you know what wire feeds the neutral and what wire feeds the hot side. the small spade on the plug is your hot wire . the wiring here in Oklahoma and in Michigan are all the same. neutral and ground go together in the fuse box. the ground wire to the case will help with and stray voltages you may get. just make sure you wire it up right. do not cross the hot and neutral wires. hope this confuses you more. HA!HA!

I do not have a 142 handy but is the power wire where it plugs into the wall both leads the same size. some radios you can only plug them in either way and some are polarized so they only plug in one way. the resister is usually there for protection on radios that the plug is not polarized. this way the radio will function either way the plug is put into the socket. that is why one wire is with a resister. best to plug them in right.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeapFrog
one other thing I was going to tell you is that when I change a cord out I put a plug on the back of the radio for a cord like a computer cord. just for your info

Thanks Sonoma (y) I appreciate your run-down of residential electricity

A new grommet/strain relief for the new cord, okay cool so I will hook it up the same way but tie the earth pin directly to chassis, and I'll make sure the Live and Neutral aren't crossed in the process, original cord has a fatter end on one side.. I'll leave the resistor and the existing fusing scheme.

Thanks again sonoma
I hope you have a great day out there :)

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.