• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

150 AMP power supply

glnelso

Feb 9, 2009
Where does someone find a power supply to run about 150 AMP's?
Astron's are not big enough. I would like it regulated if possible.
Can anyone help refer me?

Thanks,
Gage

A 150amp linear power supply would weigh 100 pounds.
You can parallel the same type of transformer to double the current. Or do it 4x as necessary. Same with the pass transistors, all 16 of them, ugh.

Running pills as a base station really sucks. And then the TVI problems.

You could re-wire the DC feed to your amplifier, so each pair of pills runs to its own pair of power terminals. Then run a separate power supply to each of the power terminals.

Its such a pain, just use a tube amp.

You're not exactly talking about a 'hobby', or common type power supply at that current level, so try the industrial markets.
Yes, they are kind of big or heavy. But when you think of how heavy that alternator and engine are, they ain't quite as heavy as they could be.
All of the suggestions above do work. Might not be quite as 'simple' as it sounds, but they've all been tried at least once.
RFI, TVI, EMI, are not just faults with solid state stuff, that 'hollow state' stuff can produce the same things. the only 'trick' to it is just cleaning up your act. Simple, sort of.
Transistors are really nice when used where they are most useful. If you have the capability or higher voltages and currents, like coming out of that wall socket, they are not quite so nice and useful. So, why use them? If you can't wait a few seconds for that 'hollow state' stuff to warm up, you're late to start with, get a watch with an alarm on it.
Multiple doo-hickies' to do what a single 'doo-hicky' can do seems sort of silly to me, it just multiplies the potential problem areas, and parts. Of course, it's like feeding a very large hungry dog, you gotta keep your fingers away from where they tend to get bit. Once is usually enough to make you remember, if you're lucky.
----
Wanna know a real good way of telling if the plate voltage has drained away? Get one'a them 'dust-bunnies' out from under the bed. Spray it with hair spray, and let it dry. Open up that amplifier and drop that prepared 'dust-bunny' on the plate cap. Beautiful fireworks! Don't just make one of them, make a bunch. If you miss that plate cap, don't collect the dropped 'dust-bunnies' till you short that cap to ground. Neat huh?
----
End of words of wisdom. No, I wasn't the originator of that last one. But it @#$ sure works!
- 'Doc

One more point though..

According to Iota
taking 2 same power supplies together..does not double the power supply...rather provides 50 percent more..

So 90+90 does not equal 180
but 90 amps plus 90 amps equals (90+45=) 135 amps

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.