• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

1st HF rig.. Alinco DX-SR8T

CB590

W9WDX Member
Jun 29, 2016
Trenton Nj
www.590dx.com
So far really liking my home rig, which is also my 1st HF rig. Big display, direct entry. Only downside is 3 power levels 1/10/100. Internally you could solder a patch and max at 50w vs. the 100w or install a switch to toggle 100/50. Its all mode so I can eventually do CW.

I have a KW TM-v71a for 2m/70cm..

Its limited in filters, no DSP. Does have IF knob and narrow filter. The IF seems to help bring out the RX audio on DX work.

I ordered in the Megawatt 350-12 rated at 30/33 amps.. I set it to 13.8v.

My MFJ-941E antenna tuner was defective with a bad SWR needle. Got exchange coming from dealer (DXEngineering).

My 38-39' end fed with 9-1 unun was performing pretty well down to 40m.

Entertaining a straight 40m resonant dipole for 2nd coax line..

I did listen on RX this morning several calls from IN,IL,NC,FL, & a guy from California. Some on 20/40 and down on 60m.

Can't wait for new antenna tuner to get back here to try actually transmit.

I'll be updating my experience.. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Got replacement MFJ-941e antenna tuner hooked up. Did easy and quick tune of 40/20m, got 1:1 or less. :)

Want to get 60/80 tuned, then I'll be happy. 5.330.50 is jumping in early morning..

Congrats on the new rig!

Nice to have a real HF radio to work the bands. Typical MFJ, you buy new products from them and it's a gamble if it will correctly right of the box. Myself and others have had hit and miss with their stuff yet we still buy some of it anyway.

Down the road if you decide to add a HF amp, you will need to mod that radio for 50 watts. I can't see why Alinco couldn't at least add a RF power menu setting so you could have variable power from 1 to 100 watts.

Enjoy for now and maybe you can catch all of on the bands!

Reactions: CB590
Congrats on the new rig!

Nice to have a real HF radio to work the bands. Typical MFJ, you buy new products from them and it's a gamble if it will correctly right of the box. Myself and others have had hit and miss with their stuff yet we still buy some of it anyway.

Down the road if you decide to add a HF amp, you will need to mod that radio for 50 watts. I can't see why Alinco couldn't at least add a RF power menu setting so you could have variable power from 1 to 100 watts.

Enjoy for now and maybe you can catch all of on the bands!

Its nice to see the SWR meter dropping smoothly.. That sticking needle was not condusive to a comfortable tune.

Reactions: Mudfoot
Using AM and FM modes to tune antenna I managed 1:1 or less on most bands. One band was 1.2 or so. Overall happy. I got 80m thru 10m.

Radio puts out about 12w on low mode in FM (which is supposed to be same for SSB mode) and was pushing between 110-125w on high mode. Got 50-55w in AM mode.

Band walk tomorrow with some other local hams.

Hoping for DX contact too.

First contact on 80m at 6:45 EST was Atlantic City, NJ. Second was at 9:45 EST with Tennessee on 10m on 28.380. :)

Checked with local guy and he said radio sounded great on SSB. I enabled the 'compression' before starting it up.. Gives it more punch he said.

Now excited to see what I can do on my days off mid week.

Reactions: RatsoW8
Added 1:1 just outside shack wall and 10' counterpoise to antenna 9:1 unun to keep 80m viable. Cuts 2-3 off noise floor and cleaner RX. :)

Made MI contact this morning on 40m (note s3 vs. old s6)

IMG_20170614_125136.jpg

Reactions: RatsoW8
Only band that I can't seem to tune with 1:1 choke in place is 60m. Tried all MFJ-941e inductor spots.. Nothing less than 2:1.. Can hear 5mhz tone real well though..

Not to worried about one band though. Flat 1-1 tune on 10/11/12/20/40/80. Haven't really tried 15/17 yet.

Bands seem crisp in a time order. 80, 40 then 20 and 10.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.