• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2 meter "Mag Mount" mobile antenna.

tracker1962

Sep 1, 2010
I have been doing quite a bit of reading here and wanted to ask a question.
Maybe the answer is on this forum but have dug and did searches with no luck.

I'm in Eastern Ontario, Canada. and looking to buy a new 2 meter mobile antenna with a "mag mount", and would like suggestions. I would rather avoid "over the border" charges.

Repeaters are abundant here with all the Adirondacks to one side, the Gatineau Mountains one the other that lead into Montreal. So, I'm in a "bowl" of mountains with repeaters. A little of flat land to the West.

I am not looking for something to blow the air waves nor the budget. Just something that will run 50 watts tops when in fringe areas. I think 2 or 10 watts should work for the most part

Now I know this question must of been asked a hundred times before.
I'm looking for where I should start looking locally for this kind of product as many shops here and I think in Canada, they have given up on us?

Any suggestions as to model and place would be appreciated!
tracker

I think a typical 5/8 wave 2 meter antenna is really about as good as anything performance wise. It isn't all that 'obtrusive', and sort of resembles antennas from a lot of different services.
Depending on terrain, a typical 1/4 wave antenna should also work adequately. I don't know how you can get any simpler than a 1/4 wave, and if you can't 'hide' one, you just ain't trying. :)
I've tried one or two of the higher 'gain' mobile antennas and they just haven't been worth the trouble or cost. Your millage may vary. "KISS" is a very good way of doing things.
I have no idea about availability in Canada, so...
Good luck.
- 'Doc

After some research, I just ordered the Hustler RX-2.
Sure there are many better units and it is a little on the "big" side, but price and performance is what I was looking for and this one seems to fit right in those parameters.
For how often I will be using it and having repeaters all around me, I should do well with it.

I will set my old K 40 mag mount further back on top of my Ford Explorer roof for my 10 meter rig.

Thank You all again for the replies.

tracker.

Hello again all.

I received an E-mail from the place where I ordered the Hustler RX-2 antenna and they are "back ordered" for about 4 weeks which is not a big problem for me as I still have to mount the radio.

I was thinking after I ordered it that it might be a little too tall and funny looking on top of my Ford Explorer?

I was thinking of changing the order to a MFJ-1729 ?

Before I do so, I was wondering what you all think?

Thanks in advance, tracker.

2 METER MAG MOUNT?

Just about ANY antenna from LARSEN will out perform the rest.DIAMOND was a VERY GOOD antenna years ago but QUALITY control has fallen off REALLY BAD in the past couple of years.As for Hustler they are falling off on the QUALITY CONTROL as well since production is now in MEXICO! The new HF versions are NOT worth the shipping charge much less the price of the GARBAGE antennas! Get you a LARSEN 5/8 wave with a mag mount & you'll be VERY HAPPY!

SIX-SHOOTER :whistle:

Thanks for the reply Six-Shooter.
I agree with you that the Larsen products are good but WAY out of my price range.
The retailer here in Canada does not even carry a Larsen 5/8 antenna.
All They carry are the smaller dual band as the MFJ-1729.
Being that the MFJ has more gain for half the price in a very comparable antenna.

Now going back to my post above, suggestions as should I wait or switch for the reasons mentioned?
tracker.

I think I would say that the MFJ-1729 is adequate, and roughly comparable to any other 5/8 wave on two meters. I've no experience with it on 440 though.
This basic 'style' of antenna, a base loaded 5/8 wave (on 2 meters) is about as common as you'll ever see. They are durable for one thing. I think something of this particular type is used by anyone with a VHF radio system, from taxis, to Leo's, to whoever. There's a reason why they are as common as they are, and it's cuz they work just dandy.
I would definitely NOT get too tied up with 'gain' figures and 2 meter/'440 antennas, that gain can be as detrimental as it is beneficial. It depends entirely on how it's arrived at. Stacking several antennas in a vertical array typically 'flattens' the radiation pattern (the '440 part of a dual-band antenna). That can certainly be nice, in the right terrain, but not exactly 'nice' if you can't take advantage of that 'flatter' radiation pattern such as down town NYC? Sure, that's an exaggeration, but not as much as you might think.
There's a 'practical' down side to most of the "higher gain" VHF antennas too. They tend to be 'stiffer', taller, and -maybe- not as durable as they should be, sort of. Those are the primary reasons I got rid of the one or two that I've tried. The 'dual-band' antenna I prefer isn't as readily available as it used to be, unfortunately. It is also one of those 'stiff' antennas, a redeeming factor is that it isn't as 'tall' as some are. And you can forget that $39.95 price (I almost learned to like 'newspaper soup' paying for one).
I definitely wouldn't recommend it, but the typical 2 meter 5/8 wave antenna is usable on '440 without being a 'dual-band' antenna, just about like a typical 'J'-pole. Or maybe I just got 'lucky'?
Good luck.
- 'Doc

(My favorite is the Comet CAS2x4 dual-band antenna. I don't think they are in production anymore. Wish I'd'a got two of them! The one I have has been on at least two vehicles, and will be on any others I ever have if I don't break the @#$ thing!)

Thanks for the reply Six-Shooter.
I agree with you that the Larsen products are good but WAY out of my price range.
The retailer here in Canada does not even carry a Larsen 5/8 antenna.
All They carry are the smaller dual band as the MFJ-1729.
Being that the MFJ has more gain for half the price in a very comparable antenna.

Now going back to my post above, suggestions as should I wait or switch for the reasons mentioned?
tracker.

Don't be afraid to name names. What retailer are you talking about that doesn't carry Larsen 5/8 waves? Radioworld in Toronto does I know that for sure. Most of them are NMO mounts but the thing with Larsen antennas is that you can buy the whip and base coil separately and then buy a matching mount. IOW you can mix and match base loading coils and mounts for NMO, magnetic etc.

Thanks for the words Doc.
Your calm words indicate to me you have read my whole post from start to finish!!
I'm doing 60 plus miles full quiet in repeaters with my 1/2 copper "j" pole on 10 watts. Got 40 more.
In the old CB days 5-15 watts, bigger badder and higher was the norm for antennas.
Today, @ 2 meter we have privileges and different environments that do not matter as much.

Captain Kilowatt.
I do so much appreciate your replies and read everything you post with great interest and try to absorb the great knowledge you have concerning the hobby and will continue to do so in the years to come.
The Larsen products are not in my price range. I would rather not say why and I am asking to have help finding something that would suite my needs at a budget price.
Without disrespect but with MUCH respect Cap.

tracker

Last edited:
It's cool. Your finances are your business and your's alone and there is no need to explain things. It's plainly nobodies business except your's. I was just curious what dealer didn't carry the Larsen 5/8 antennas. That's like a Ben & Jerry's not having vanilla ice cream. I was also just pointing out the good thing about the Larsens, that of interchangebility of the antenna to differnt vehicles that may have different mounting options. One antenna and a few different mounts and the same antenna can go to whatever vehicle you decide to drive that day.As for the dual band 2m/70cm antennas, don't sell them short. Many of them are very good performers. Diamond and Comet make some pretty decent antennas. Actually Diamond and Comet are made by NCG and sold under those two names. Different names, same antenna. I wouldn't get too hung up on a 5/8 antenna anyway if you can find a good 1/2 wave antenna for a good price. The diference will be VERY slight if noticeable at all. You may have a tiny bit more "picket fencing" while mobile but that all.I used to run a Diamond SG-2000 Super-Gainer on 2m and thought it worked very good. It was a 7/8 wave antenna. I then went to a 1/2 wave antenna and saw very little difference except for a bit more picket fencing on weak signals. I currently use the Comet CA2X4-SR with a lip mount on the rear door of my Ford Escape and it works quite well. If you really want a magmount, then a 1/4 wave will work quite well when placed in the centre of the roof and as for price they can't be beat.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.