• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2000 GTL-part needed...

Wrench

Oct 22, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I have a 2000 GTL I got from trading. It looks like new, but has been modded by some hack.
While returning the radio to specs, I found several traces were cut on the circuit board to the switches on the left hand. I guess it was how the extra channels were switched. Everything works, but the cut traces and messed up switch board make the radio unstable.
The board goes to the speaker, CB/Pa, and other switches. If anyone knows of a source, or even has a real junker, I am interested. I want to get it going for myself, as I had one In the 80's.
Any serious suggestions?
Thanks.

Maybe watch flea bay for parts rig, they are getting scarce.

I recently put one back together and they are sweet radios, hard to find parts for them though.

It was working fine, until I got to bridging the cut traces in the switch circuit board. But....
I looked on ebay, several times, and even nonreturnable rigs go for over 130 plus shipping. I'll keep trying. I had a hi output, great modulation, and it looks like new.

I bought a working 2000 on ebay, but it has two holes drilled in the front, and "upper channels" added. The Freq meter has problems, but it is about the only place to get the switch PC board I need. I will have a lot of extra parts, so not so bad a deal.
Extra matching knobs, PLL, Transformer, and so on. Maybe it is only the diode in the Freq Meter that is bad. Spare meters. This will do it!

Glad you got what you was needing, they are good radios, over priced for what they are but well liked by those who have them.

Yup, over priced is an understatement. I bought a refurbished one in 1991, from Coppers for $205. Worked perfect with only a minor tune, until a house fire burnt it up.

I know I have a parts radio I know its here somewhere in my outside building and will look to see if I can find it. I know its out there but not sure where LOL!! Ill look and if I find it Ill give you details on it.

I know I have a parts radio I know its here somewhere in my outside building and will look to see if I can find it. I know its out there but not sure where LOL!! Ill look and if I find it Ill give you details on it.

I found a 2000 on ebay, that had a bad Freq counter. It got here yesterday. After work, I put the counter from my other 2000 in, and it receives well, and transmits a little weak. I think the finals are about gone, The PA works loud, so the audio chip is most likely OK, so I will put in some from my parts box. The meters are "lazy," even after peaking. I have some meters also, so the one I just bought may be running by this afternoon. I might even end up with two 2000s, All that I would need is to repair or replace the counter. I could leave the counter out, but want to keep it as close to original as I can, with the counter working.
Well, of to Radio Shack!

If you find that parts radio, let me know. Maybe we can come up with a deal. Thanks

If you can not locate a counter, google N3ZI, he makes an awesome counter kit that is inexpensive and not hard to build.

It is user programmable for IF offsets and works well with my old vintage gear.

Well, I put the parts 2000 together, and used the first one for the parts I needed. Everything works, except the SWR meter. The meter itself works, the modulation mode to it has plenty of movement, so the meter is good. I can't get the needle to go up high enough to calibrate the meter to check the SWRs. It goes a third of the way and stops. There must be an adjustment, somewhere. Am is 2 watts dead key, with about 8 watts total on AM. Sideband is about 16-18, about what most 2000s do. I left the ALC intact, and it is clear, limited at just a tad over 100%. I have a speaker that plugs into both one of the speaker jacks, and the PA jack, with a volume control. This acts like a talk back, so I can hear how the circuit is sounding. I hope it sounds as good as I hear it. A passing trucker said it was loud and clear. I can't have an antenna here, so I made a redneck dipole, on an unused clothesline. Its well grounded, and I buried the cable.
Stealthy, huh?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated