• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2970 N2

Get an HF radio, you'll be happier. Something like a kenwood 480hx or 480sat. Or even an Icom 7000 or similar. Some of them may not do as well on AM, but if setup right they don't sound bad at all. And the kenwood 480hx is a 200w radio that does sound pretty good on AM and they rock on SSB. Most any HF will outdo one on SSB. JMHO. Save your bucks and spend it on something you can use on other bands if you ever decide to get your ticket as well. Again, JMHO's.

Junk radio.

They had a lot of problems with the PA board on those radios. Between the poor design and the heatsink being too small, to the mosfets being over-biased, it's just not worth it. The heat that radiates from the PA will rise directly into the main PCB and potentially cause other problems. I'm a CB'er and I'd never own one.

Get a good CB radio and run a small amp. And even tho I'm not a fan of HF rigs on CB band (because they don't belong there), an HF rig is honestly the best option for the money, and will TX/RX far better than an N2.

~Cheers~

Undertaker, you asked a question and you got answers.

Hands down any real HF rig will out perform about all real CB rigs, with few exceptions,

With that said I have an 2970N2, second Generation where the bias issue had been corrected and after a good alignment, and setting correct bias on driver, finals, and amplifier section ( CB golden screwdriver had all cranked up trying to get MO WATTS) it performs just OK.

The output is good on AM and SSB modes, it receives well but has poor adjacent channel rejections ( wide open front end as is the norm for export rigs) Small speaker sounds like crap need run external speaker.

Amp does get hot ( as previously posted by exit) especially in AM mode, will need to add cooling fans.

It is just an OK radio, but if you are running in a big rig, and not allowed external amps, then it will work and is not bad on SSB, for AM there are better and louder big rig radios.

Google RCI 2970N2 reviews, should have many hits and reviews to read if you do not like what you get for replies here.

Reactions: 222DBFL
I can understand that undertaker. Don't let it get to you. There will always be someone with a smart ass remark about things. Hope you get a good radio and enjoy it!! That is what matters!! Forget the BS!!

@undertaker This radio is just junk for noob buyers.
Imagine, that about 50% of RF power is radiated as heat. Radiator is too small to dispatch 100W as heat.
I had a few radios on my desk with that kind of amplifier in bottom cover. After a few minutes I was unable to touch it because of high temp.
Receiver is just as simple as 30 years old Superstar 3900. No significant improvement.
For some people is enough to read advices, some need to spend thousands of $ for b$ to get this.
Buy, try that by yourself and come back with your opinion.
Mike

Not pushing ham radios. Just letting him know there are other options that are better. Bottom line. I like the 2950's. I would rather see him get one if them and a seperate amp. It will be a better setup IMO. Less heat being created onto the radio itself. Again, JMO. Also HF radios like the kenwood ts480hx sound good on AM and will blow the 2970 away on SSB all day long. As well as being a 200 watt radio. Yes more money, but you are getting way more radio too. I also like my optima mk3. But some don't like them either. It's what makes you happy in the end that matters. Just do some good research before you drop a good bit of dime on an export radio. Again, JMHO. I couldn't be happier I got an Icom 746. It gets me more compliments on SSB than I can keep track of and I am constantly being asked what I am running. That isn't to say the 2970N2 won't do the same, but I highly doubt it. Again, JMO.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated