• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2970N2 Strange Problem

I have one of the N2 rangers that came from the factory with the amp VR pots set to 7 volts with the heavy amp draw problem. I have learned that this radio does not respond well to the average "coil stretching, snip n clippers" magic mods. I suspect that if the truth were really known, this guys radio was hacked up and is a splatter box.

I had a relatively flat swr via my Wilson 1000 magmount. Noticed when checking swr levels with the N4 model same symptoms. Needle would jump up sometimes when checking swr. Thus making it difficult to tune antenna with this radio.

An antenna is not tuned to a radio, it's set to the vehicle. If you previously had the SWR set with that antenna and vehicle and you have not moved the antenna it should be good to go. An even better option would be to have the antenna set with one of these. https://www.gigaparts.com/mfj-259c.html?gclid=CM7O6s7749QCFVG2wAod8N0LOA

An antenna is not tuned to a radio, it's set to the vehicle. If you previously had the SWR set with that antenna and vehicle and you have not moved the antenna it should be good to go. An even better option would be to have the antenna set with one of these. https://www.gigaparts.com/mfj-259c.html?gclid=CM7O6s7749QCFVG2wAod8N0LOA

My hunch was the jumper cable problem checked swr again today multiple times cha1 flat cha40 1.5. probably due to me being misguided last time to increase antenna height. Went to bring it down, guess what?

Effin rounded the grub screw FML.

Moral of the story, antenna was good before i did my fiddling a few days ago.

As for that meter, does the forum loan these out? ;-)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?