• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

350Z SWITCH REPLACED

Sonar

Apr 8, 2016
Replaced the on/off rocker switch. The original solder was a bitch to remove. I guess it had to do with the cheap soldering iron I own. The gray wire that went to the offside of the switch was much thinner than the white one that went to the on side. The solder from the original gray wire fell off fairly quickly, but the solder on the right wire just would not melt. The wire had to be cut and then spliced. Anyway everything went well and as I expected the amplifier turned on and is working as well as it did before the switch took a dump. That's switch must have been on its way out for a while. It was always difficult 2 turn the amp on and off. The replacement switches I purchased thanks to the link that was added by LooseCannon worked out tremendously. The switch is smooth and turns on and off with a Simple Touch. Thanks to all who helped and replied to my OP. 73 s
First picture of Original soldering job on original switch. Second picture is of my poor soldering skills, and the third is of the recapped bottom side.20180117_130653.jpg20180117_140643.jpg
20180117_140805.jpg

I've seen "pros" do worse. Good to see you got the job done.
Thanks. I know the Palomar 350Z probably deserves the bad rep it has, but in all honesty it works excellent for me.
The fan is wisper queit. With 2 Watts DK it tunes to 490. I drop the DK down to 120-150 (by over coupling) and adjusting the Demco modulator to where the 2340 shows 14 watts pep I get terrific audio reports.
This 350z tunes so easily.
I wish the rest of my amps we're so easy to tune up. I don't get on the air enough lately, but when I do this is amp is the one I enjoy most. Even over the Phantom triple stage. I always scratch my head wondering why the Palomar 350Z has such a bad reputation. Anyway, thanks for the compliments, but after the XYL had some problems removing the switch my neighbor stepped in (who has absolutely no knowledge about this types of equipment) and was able to remove the switch with my directions, and replace it with the new one (I soldered.) It took about 45 minutes which is probably about 40 minutes longer than it would have taken anyone else who knows what they're doing. In the end everything worked out well. Thanks again 73's

Thanks. I know the Palomar 350Z probably deserves the bad rep it has, but in all honesty it works excellent for me.
The fan is wisper queit. With 2 Watts DK it tunes to 490. I drop the DK down to 120-150 (by over coupling) and adjusting the Demco modulator to where the 2340 shows 14 watts pep I get terrific audio reports.
This 350z tunes so easily.
I wish the rest of my amps we're so easy to tune up. I don't get on the air enough lately, but when I do this is amp is the one I enjoy most. Even over the Phantom triple stage. I always scratch my head wondering why the Palomar 350Z has such a bad reputation. Anyway, thanks for the compliments, but after the XYL had some problems removing the switch my neighbor stepped in (who has absolutely no knowledge about this types of equipment) and was able to remove the switch with my directions, and replace it with the new one (I soldered.) It took about 45 minutes which is probably about 40 minutes longer than it would have taken anyone else who knows what they're doing. In the end everything worked out well. Thanks again 73's

i like my 300a for the same reason. very easy to tune and has great audio with my cobra 1000. even with the high side out, it still does well.

i like my 300a for the same reason. very easy to tune and has great audio with my cobra 1000. even with the high side out, it still does well.
The 300a didn't have the initial issues of the 350z. Unfortunately my 300a's preamp is on the fritz. It causes the receive when used in the AM mode to drop down and only returns when I quickly key the microphone. Luckily it doesn't do the same on SSB. So I use it for SSB only. Nomad explained exactly how to bypass the preamp to wear that problem will be resolved, but it's beyond my abilities. I don't like using it while it's not working 100% so I may send it out along with the Phantom. My Phantom has a minor issue that needs attention. So I've decided to send them both out at the same time. When that will be only God knows. Right now I'm having antenna or coax issues that need to be resolved before I decide to send anything out for repair. What's the point? Without a properly working antenna everything I own and use is basically a paperweight. LOL. why are you having issues with the high side of the 300 a?
5207-1508130828-fd2058494dd038c2b8566dcb896c44ba.jpg

Congrats Sonar!

I was actually just thinking about that switch today, and wondering whether or not it worked for you.

glad to hear that it fit correctly.
hopefully it looks like the others for the most part.

Most likely your soldering iron just didn't have the 'oomph' to get those contacts hot enough to really melt the solder on.
as long as you couldn't pull the wires off, and the solder looks shiny, you should be ok.

feel free to give me a call if you want to talk through some antenna and coax tests once you get ready to do all that.
LC

Congrats Sonar!

I was actually just thinking about that switch today, and wondering whether or not it worked for you.

glad to hear that it fit correctly.
hopefully it looks like the others for the most part.

Most likely your soldering iron just didn't have the 'oomph' to get those contacts hot enough to really melt the solder on.
as long as you couldn't pull the wires off, and the solder looks shiny, you should be ok.

feel free to give me a call if you want to talk through some antenna and coax tests once you get ready to do all that.
LC
Thanks my friend. As to the rocker switch it's exactly the same as the old one. Fits perfectly. Not only that I notice how much easier the new Switch operates as compared to the four other ones that are to my knowledge original to the amplifier. If I used the preamp, SSB/AM, or high low I might consider changing all of them. I do use the standby switch but it actually works smoother than the other three, and you know the old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it. Especially in my situation.
I have some ideas on the antenna and hope to get someone out in the backyard to take the antenna down and give it a look-see. There's three things I think the single-digit temperatures and snow might have done.
Number one. Is that the pl-259 might just be loose. This happened to me once before and although I don't recall whether it was winter or summer it did happen. I had someone take the antenna down and notice the pl-259 was at least four turns loose. It was loose enough to where it actually wiggled around before it was tightened.
Number two. Is the ice snow and cold temperatures may have gotten between the top section and middle section of the IMAX 2000, and actually caused one of the sections to loosen (I know I'm reaching on that one.)
Number three. Is that some moisture may have gotten into the coax through the pl-259.
For now I am off the air. I cannot and won't put this old equipment through the high SWR that it's currently showing. I will mention an odd thing that happened and was happening the last few times I tested it before I decided to disconnect the pl-259 from my wm1 and cover up the station.
This was happening on both stations. The sonar with the 350Z and the Madison with the 300 a
After warming everything up for a couple of minutes I would key the microphone. The SWR would start at 3 and then slowly drop down to approximately a 2 (while staying keyed.)
I also noticed on occasion the SWR would jump up and down erratically. I did use both WM 1's to make sure it wasn't the meter.
I did notice the last time the SWR jumped up and down erratically there was a slight breeze blowing. While that was happening I took a look-see at the IMAX 2000 and although it wasn't moving around too much the breeze was indeed causing the antenna to sway a bit.
I'm going to have someone take the antenna down, check to make sure the two sections of the antenna are tightly screwed together, and then I'm going to check the pl-259. I have this suspicious feeling that might pl-259 has once again loosened. I I have no doubt that the single-digit temps and 12 inches of snow that fell caused whatever the issue is. The last time I used the setup was about 3 weeks before that, and my SWR was a 1.2 where it always sits. The day of the storm I figured I wasn't going anywhere and thought it would be a great situation to get in some radio time. I actually purchased five new LMR 240 for foot jumpers. I was using a couple of LMR 400 and 3 240 jumpers. I didn't like that idea although I no it didn't have anything to do with the issue. It was just something I've been wanting to do for a while. Of course that changed nothing. Although I am happy to be using all of the same 240 jumpers. I do have a brand new unopened A99 in the garage. If it's not the coax I might just remove the IMAX and throw the a 99 up there. I purchased an insulator tester. I figured for 40 something dollars I might be able to use it in the future, but as soon as I receive it I will check the pl-259 on the outside at the antenna feed Point, and I will also check the one on the inside. If you're familiar with the lmr400 times microwave, there is a very nice strong looking heat shrunk piece of material (rubber?) that goes from the pl-259 to about 3 in down the coax. So if any moisture got in to the coax it had to make its way into the pl-259 itself. I'm just finding it hard to believe that moisture or water got in there, as there was none. There was only ice and snow falling. Unless my pl-259 was loose to begin with. As soon as I get some time I will have somebody take a stroll to the back yard and check it out with me. My antenna is very easy to take down without having to remove any of the masts. All that needs to be done is to remove the 8th cinder blocks from the non-penetrating roof mount, and then just tilt the whole thing down to the ground. I still haven't received the insulator tester yet but should have it any day now. If any of the swr and erratic ways it's been acting gives you any thought on what it might be I would appreciate your input. Thanks LC. I appreciate all your help. If I'm having a problem tracking down the issue I will drop you a line for sure.5199-1507945925-9245c8d2200772751fa5777b934c7f0d.jpg

I just hate the name an amp that does not have a single 3-500Z tube in it named 3-500Z. It is right up their with fake crab or Lobster that is made from pieces and parts of fish pressed together and died. LOL

Even if they worked great I would not buy one or use one on principal alone! Again I have no issue with properly functioning sweep tube amps operated in a responsible manner.

It is right up their with idiots that put Turbo on a car never offered with a Turbo or V8 emblems on a car with a 4 cylinder under the hood etc......It is not the owners in this case rather the manufacturer that was a scum sucking chum bucket bottom feeder! There is marketing and then there is false advertisement! LOL

My opinion of the manufactures marketing aside the only thing that really matters is that it does what you need it to do and that you where able to fix it yourself! Sometimes we are forced to work on things because we can not afford to pay someone to do it for us and sometimes we do it because we enjoy it right?!?!?! No matter which it is for you-you should feel like you accomplished something, you should be proud of what you where able to do and you should feel empowered!

Since you are sharing it with us all of the above must be true! Cheers!

Last edited:
I just hate the name an amp that does not have a single 3-500Z tube in it named 3-500Z. It is right up their with fake crab or Lobster that is made from pieces and parts of fish pressed together and died. LOL

Even if they worked great I would not buy one or use one on principal alone! Again I have no issue with properly functioning sweep tube amps operated in a responsible manner.

It is right up their with idiots that put Turbo on a car never offered with a Turbo or V8 emblems on a car with a 4 cylinder under the hood etc......It is not the owners in this case rather the manufacturer that was a scum sucking chum bucket bottom feeder! There is marketing and then there is false advertisement! LOL

My opinion of the manufactures marketing aside the only thing that really matters is that it does what you need it to do and that you where able to fix it yourself! Sometimes we are forced to work on things because we can not afford to pay someone to do it for us and sometimes we do it because we enjoy it right?!?!?! No matter which it is for you-you should feel like you accomplished something, you should be proud of what you where able to do and you should feel empowered!

Since you are sharing it with us all of the above must be true! Cheers!
Lol! It's a 350z. Not 3-500z.
Even if it were 99% of people who purchased them when they were originally manufactured, and sold knew exactly what they were getting.
There were a few CB (11 meter) companies building amps that actually did use a true non sweep tube in their amps. One that comes to mind is the pride DX 300. It used a 250b (triode?)
I'd say more than 99% of people who buy these amps on fleabay, Craig's list ect ect ect know their buying sweep tube amplifiers. The biggest misleading things amplifier companies would do, and I believe still do are give their amps names like turbo 1500 when there's one sweep to driving 3. Of 4 2879's.
Beyond getting a CB amp to gain much more output than the FCC regulated 4 watts i actually don't believe buyer anything else (like filtering ect ect.).
Minimual to no filtering makes them what they are and nothing more. Imo there are more sweep tube amplifiers being used then we'll built one's intended for amature use (on CB of course.). Eraly on there were even respected HF companies using sweep tubes. And many of those are popular on CB than they are on amateur radio (of course.)

The 300a didn't have the initial issues of the 350z. Unfortunately my 300a's preamp is on the fritz. It causes the receive when used in the AM mode to drop down and only returns when I quickly key the microphone. Luckily it doesn't do the same on SSB. So I use it for SSB only. Nomad explained exactly how to bypass the preamp to wear that problem will be resolved, but it's beyond my abilities. I don't like using it while it's not working 100% so I may send it out along with the Phantom. My Phantom has a minor issue that needs attention. So I've decided to send them both out at the same time. When that will be only God knows. Right now I'm having antenna or coax issues that need to be resolved before I decide to send anything out for repair. What's the point? Without a properly working antenna everything I own and use is basically a paperweight. LOL. why are you having issues with the high side of the 300 a?
View attachment 22463

Mine did the same thing. When the preamp was engaged it kills rx. Nomad sent me a relay of his that should've worked to fix the older relays but apparently mine is dead. I've replaced the transistors, diodes and caps on that board as well. I don't really need the preamp, my Dwight and Cobra 1000 have great ears. But if I sold it, I would want it working. I don't know what's up with my high side. Just went out while talking one day. @nomadradio told me what to look for to solve the issue but have had no luck. Resoldered the sockets, replaced the coax from the switch the the driver board, verified voltage. It's got 6kd6's driving the 4 lf6's. I'm gonna try two new tubes and see if that won't solve it. The low side does 350 pep and that's not bad, but if it has a high gear, that's where I keep it

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated