• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

5 wire cord for RK 56?

RunAway15

Apr 9, 2017
I have a RK 56 that needs a new cord, it's for a 4 pin radio. I ordered a new cord that was supposed to be for a 4 pin RK 56 with 6 wires, but the cord I received only has 5 wires.. Am I supposed to improvise and just use 5 wires somehow?

are you sure it is a 5 wire? did you find the shield on it wrapped around the audio wire.that is usually called the 6th wire.
Good reply, but yes, unfortunately no such situation. I actually got a buddy to pick up a custom cord from a local shop that sells the good stuff with thick wires and a solo ground that he put heat shrink on. Just 5 wires including the ground.

Shouldn't it work with just 5 wires? Think I read somewhere once that the yellow isn't needed, which is exactly the one that's missing.

i might be wrong but here goes,,,, if you match up the color wires inside the mike leaving off the one that isnt in cord then making sure same color of wire goes on the mike plug like what come off you should have it,,.. i just put a 4 wire cord on a turner rk 66,,, the 66 is a 6 wire cord but i wired it up for cobra/galaxy so it turned out right the first time,,,, if i remember right i just made it in to a rk60,,,

Reactions: RunAway15
That mysterious sixth wire was yellow in the factory-original cord.

It was needed for exactly one brand of radio.

Johnson.

Pretty sure only their 23-channel models needed it. By the time they sold 40-channel radios they had ditched the six-wire setup.

They had enough market share to convince Turner and Astatic to upgrade their cords to six wires.

Just before they stopped making radios that needed it.

You only need four wires for a four-pin mike plug. A five-wire cord will have two ground wires. One for the transmit/receive switch and one for the audio shield. This is why you have to solder both of these to pin 1 of a 4-pin plug for your Cobra/Galaxy etc.

A radio with channel up/down switches are different, but even that only takes five wires.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.