• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

500 DK 800 PEP. REALLY?!

Sonar

Apr 8, 2016
If I were looking for a 300a this is one I would stay far away from. Yet people bid and bid, bid, bid, and bid! I wrote this seller explaining about the inflated output numbers. 2 driving 4 (6lf6's/6kd6's) 500 DK 800 pep with a "stock" radio. Really! He told me and I quote "the previous owner modified it". When will people learn? He made sure to add that he is a licensed ham operator. Yet failed to add his call sign in the description. Is it possible these inflated numbers are due to that incredibly "accurate" meter that he's using? There's a sucker born every minute. Whoever it was that originally said that definitely knew what they were talking about.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/112474465059

Last edited:

A guy had a lot of old stuff for sale on a ham forum once. One of the items was a 10 or 12 tube phantom. He called it a 500 watt cb amp. I really appreciated his honesty. People selling this stuff aren't always bad people. Some are good honest people and just don't know any better.

I don't doubt he can get those numbers out of the amplifier. You just have to drive it hard enough and scream into the microphone just right. A local guy gets comparable watts (pep) and half the deadkey per tube in his sweep toob amp. The problem is that it takes a dirty hot rod radio and a splatter box driver to get him there. All the extra heat and wear on his tubes does him no good because its spread across 10+ channels. The distortion makes him hard to understand at times. The first time talking to him on the phone I really realized how distorted he was on the radio.

These tubes are good for about 20 watts carrier and 80 to 100 pep each....JMO. Anymore than that and you're meterbaiting. I do not understand why anyone would be shopping for a sweep tube amp or spending money to repair one in 2017. There are better options out there.

A guy had a lot of old stuff for sale on a ham forum once. One of the items was a 10 or 12 tube phantom. He called it a 500 watt cb amp. I really appreciated his honesty. People selling this stuff aren't always bad people. Some are good honest people and just don't know any better.

I don't doubt he can get those numbers out of the amplifier. You just have to drive it hard enough and scream into the microphone just right. A local guy gets comparable watts (pep) and half the deadkey per tube in his sweep toob amp. The problem is that it takes a dirty hot rod radio and a splatter box driver to get him there. All the extra heat and wear on his tubes does him no good because its spread across 10+ channels. The distortion makes him hard to understand at times. The first time talking to him on the phone I really realized how distorted he was on the radio.

These tubes are good for about 20 watts carrier and 80 to 100 pep each....JMO. Anymore than that and you're meterbaiting. I do not understand why anyone would be shopping for a sweep tube amp or spending money to repair one in 2017. There are better options out there.

I totally agree about shopping for a sweep tube amp or even repairing one for that matter on 2017... For me it would be a steel tube all the way.. But I will say that I do like the 3-500z, thats the only glass I like...

I totally agree about shopping for a sweep tube amp or even repairing one for that matter on 2017... For me it would be a steel tube all the way.. But I will say that I do like the 3-500z, thats the only glass I like...

There's good glass out there, I wouldn't mind having some 4-1000s for the nostalgia factor but once you get over the glow ceramics are the way to go. The 3-500z is a great tube but unfortunately most amps built around them don't use a decent cooling system and have an underrated power supply.

The guys that have been running big sweep tubes for decades will never step up to ceramic tubes. The cost of plate iron alone scares the hell out of them. The ones that do buy some ghetto built stuff that's just waiting to electrocute them.

There's good glass out there, I wouldn't mind having some 4-1000s for the nostalgia factor but once you get over the glow ceramics are the way to go. The 3-500z is a great tube but unfortunately most amps built around them don't use a decent cooling system and have an underrated power supply.

The guys that have been running big sweep tubes for decades will never step up to ceramic tubes. The cost of plate iron alone scares the hell out of them. The ones that do buy some ghetto built stuff that's just waiting to electrocute them.

Yep, totally agree.... For instance , the heathkit sb-220, definetly pays to get any harbach mods available, plus you can do a little modification as well for better air flow over the pair of 3-500z's..

Yep, totally agree.... For instance , the heathkit sb-220, definetly pays to get any harbach mods available, plus you can do a little modification as well for better air flow over the pair of 3-500z's..

I wouldn't spent the money on it. People pay top dollar for the 220's so I'd sell it and find an L4B for about the same price. Much better cooling system and the ps is external. If the plate transformer craps out it's easier to upgrade.

I wouldn't spent the money on it. People pay top dollar for the 220's so I'd sell it and find an L4B for about the same price. Much better cooling system and the ps is external. If the plate transformer craps out it's easier to upgrade.

Yeah, I would not spend the money on it either... I cannot believe the crazy prices that are out there.. Agreed, the Drake is a nice choice and its built like a tank.. (y)

Whenever "bought at a estate sale" is included in the description, I stop reading. That is code for "you are on your own after buying".

Reactions: tecnicoloco

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.