• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

51Vdc at 14 amps for $30.00?

Tallman

KW4YJ Honorary Member Silent Key
May 1, 2013
Louisville, KY
Yes sir!
If you bought one of those module amps from ebay and you are looking for a power supply to run it this your lucky day. Cheap and easy.
http://www.allelectronics.com/item/ps-5114/51v-14a-power-module-ac-dc/1.html?extra=a:2:{i:0;s:40:"03823345592a403b2f4a37a59384e7ab28f02be1";i:1;N;}
It will require some support circuitry but still easier than trying to do it with a big honking transformer and heavy duty diodes.

I have been doing some research on these modules and the list price from some other vendor for the same part is $291.00. I have also contacted TDK-Lambda to get a parts list for all of the support components need to operate this module without letting the "Magic Smoke" out. I will post everything as it become available.

Well my friends it doesn't get any better than this! This Bill Of Material (BOM) is from TDK-Lambda fresh out of my email to you free of charge. It even list a PCB that you may or may not be able to buy from TDK-Lambda.

Attachments

• PFE70048_BOM.pdf
    8.6 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
Reactions: LeapFrog and BBB

Well my friends it doesn't get any better than this! This Bill Of Material (BOM) is from TDK-Lambda fresh out of my email to you free of charge. It even list a PCB that you may or may not be able to buy from TDK-Lambda.

Attachments

• PFE70048_BOM.pdf
    8.6 KB · Views: 230
Reactions: LeapFrog
High Voltage, Mosfet Powered Amplifers Anyone? :)
Coming to a radio shack near you. (Not the store lol)

This looks like it will unravel into a great power supply build thread!

Reactions: Tallman
High Voltage, Mosfet Powered Amplifers Anyone? :)
Coming to a radio shack near you. (Not the store lol)

This looks like it will unravel into a great power supply build thread!
I bought one of those commercial broadcast modules from eBay for next to nothing and have been hunting for a power supply to run it and this ended up in my mailbox.
The module is supposedly good for a full Kilo Watt and the heat sink is definitely capable of that with enough forced air cooling it should do the job.

I bought one of those commercial broadcast modules from eBay for next to nothing and have been hunting for a power supply to run it and this ended up in my mailbox.
The module is supposedly good for a full Kilo Watt and the heat sink is definitely capable of that with enough forced air cooling it should do the job.

What did you get? I have a Larcan television VHF-Lo-Lo band amplifier module that was used on channel 3. It has had extensive mods done to increase the efficiency and power output on 6m. It was originally only 27% eff. and is now about 52-55% eff. I bought it from an occasional forum member here VO1KS who is a friend of mine. Warren did the mods to it by installing SMD type chip capacitors. He is a broadcast engineer at a well know national broadcast company here in Canada. I still need to wire it up with T/R relay etc. I picked up a Hewlett Packard blade server power supply that make 50 volts at 60 amps. The module needs about 50 amps to make the rated 1200 watts out.

Reactions: LeapFrog
. I still need to wire it up with T/R relay etc. I picked up a Hewlett Packard blade server power supply that make 50 volts at 60 amps. The module needs about 50 amps to make the rated 1200 watts out.
It is manufactured by Harris Corporation Broadcast Division. Part number 992-8960-005
I was just going to use the amplifier switching out of the back of my IC-745. They say I need to use Teflon Dielectric coax to handle the power. I think they run four of these in parallel and run them through a combiner.

I picked up a Hewlett Packard blade server power supply that make 50 volts at 60 amps. The module needs about 50 amps to make the rated 1200 watts out.
I have Four Server power supplies here but I don't think the voltage gets any where that high. Did you mod the regulator circuits?

It is manufactured by Harris Corporation Broadcast Division. Part number 992-8960-005
I was just going to use the amplifier switching out of the back of my IC-745. They say I need to use Teflon Dielectric coax to handle the power. I think they run four of these in parallel and run them through a combiner.

OK you have the Harris module. I have seen them but don't know much about them. I believe the popular units floating around out there are the Platinum-1 series. they consist of a bunch of individual MOSFETS with combiners to develop the 1 Kw. My Larcan has four MRF-151G MOSFETS which develop 300 watts each for a total of 1200 watts. Each modules slide into a rack in the Larcan TX and power simple depends on how many modules are used.When I said about needing some T/R switching i meant external relays like the Dow Key series and will use switching control from my rig. Teflon coax is not required as long as whatever you use will handle a Kw at 50 MHz. Polyethylene dielectric is fine for a couple Kw but I wouldn't use foam coax. The breakdown voltage is only 300 volts and a Kw is about 225 volts with a perfect SWR and only goes up from there as SWR increases.

I have Four Server power supplies here but I don't think the voltage gets any where that high. Did you mod the regulator circuits?

Those modules NEED 50 volts and power will suffer greatly if the voltage is much lower than that. My power supply was a 50 volt supply and did not need any mods whatsoever. Blade server supplies come in several voltages such as 12, 24, and 50 volts nominal. Unless you run them at or very near 50 volts those MOSFET amps will not function good at all.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?