• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

600w 2 pill...amazing!

Walkin' the dog
Sep 12, 2009
Chilliwack, BC
www.youtube.com

21:20

6744b989.gif

210 watts Bird average is normal but 600 watts peak is absurd....unless you are running 16 volts or more. Someone needs to replace the peak kit in their Bird 43.

Reactions: Sonar
40 miles away I come over 6 pill ice cream trucks,with only 150 watts. I'm also nearly 100ft in elevation over them,can't put that on a bird meter!

40 miles away I come over 6 pill ice cream trucks,with only 150 watts. I'm also nearly 100ft in elevation over them,can't put that on a bird meter!
Not really sure why I said all that, must be this Sweet almond oil I put on my face..btw BBI website says"not taking orders" is he just fixing?

I keyed with a local in a parking lot one night. He had an a99 on a 5 foot mast in the rear bed stake of his pick up truck vs my 1/4 wave roof mounted antenna.

Our amps were different sizes so we keyed barefoot. My old uniden 76 wiped out his superstar ss158. The guy with the Watergate thought he didn't even key. When we did it again I kept my hands where he could see them and let him check the amps before and after. He couldn't believe it. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 6.0 Liter
Not saying it's true but a perfectly calibrated meter can show these impossible numbers. The more square the waveform gets the higher a bird 43 or any average reading meter will read.
Yeah; but you and I both know is that is the square waves that destroy a transistor faster.

BTW - what kind of power supply did you use to get that voltage and amperage to make 1kw happen?

During a shoot-out, most people won't care how much IMD or harmonic content is present; nor about longevity.. after all the transistors only need to last for something like 10 seconds of WORLDWIDE, WORLDWIDE, WORLDWIDE , or ONE, ONE, ONE, ONE so you can be heard over the other guy (and win).

Can it show you 600w PEP, yeah ("real" watts or not).. But we don't drag race our daily driver cars (we need them to last, not blow up). & that is a "Peak Kit" not a Bird 43P.. (peak reading kits can be tweaked)... 600w seems a little generous @14 volts, but what do I know. :whistle:

Last edited:
Reactions: 543_Dallas
Yeah; but you and I both know is that is the square waves that destroy a transistor faster.

BTW - what kind of power supply did you use to get that voltage and amperage to make 1kw happen?

I'm surprised that first 10 second key didn't kill it. The 1x2 (all 2879s) I used in my daily driver was ran at 100 carrier, 400 avg and 500 pep into a 16 pill. With occasional use it lasted a year before the transistors were toast. After rebuilding it and putting a matched pair of 2879s from RF parts (marked 116) it would show 750 pep on 14 volts. I bypassed the driver so it would last.

The kw 2 pill was a 1x2 fatboy driven by a cobra 29. 900 watts deadkey, would swing back to 400 average and just a little over 900 pep. The trick was to start yelling into the mic before you key then unkey before you stop yelling. The current draw is actually less with modulation and youre more likely to blow it with a deadkey.

The first power supply was an old Aim brand power supply that was rated for 20 or 30 amps. I pulled unregulated voltage straight from the cap bank. It would float 24 volts and pull down to 19 or 20 volts. The later power supply that I still have is an astron 70 amp with a variable regulator circuit installed. It will dial up to around 24 volts. I never measured amprage but I should have.

During a shoot-out, most people won't care how much IMD or harmonic content is present; nor about longevity.. after all the transistors only need to last for something like 10 seconds of WORLDWIDE, WORLDWIDE, WORLDWIDE , or ONE, ONE, ONE, ONE so you can be heard over the other guy (and win).

Can it show you 600w PEP, yeah ("real" watts or not).. But we don't drag race our daily driver cars (we need them to last, not blow up). & that is a "Peak Kit" not a Bird 43P.. (peak reading kits can be tweaked)... 600w seems a little generous @14 volts, but what do I know. :whistle:

The pep kit can certainly be tweaked. You probably know but when you turn on the pep kit while deadkeying the power level should be the same. If it's not the pep board is not properly calibrated. Even then the slugs can be tampered with, peel the lable off and have a look. I wouldnt put anything past the YouTube guys but I have saw what some call impossible. These amps were designed to drag race. Somewhere someone decided to start using them for rag chew. I'm not making money from amp repair, don't condone this kind of operation and have no reason to deceive anyone.

Reactions: LeapFrog
90 watts in to a 2 x 2sc2879 type (PP100 originally?) at 14v?
210 AVG/ 600 PEP

8.42 dB gain - I guess that is within scope, ....

~90 watts input? It had to be repaired? Somebody help me out here?

90 watts in to a 2 x 2sc2879 type (PP100 originally?) at 14v?
210 AVG/ 600 PEP

8.42 dB gain - I guess that is within scope, ....

~90 watts input? It had to be repaired? Somebody help me out here?
I wouldn't have driven it with 90 watts unless it my own box and I wanted to prove a point, whatever that means, but if he demonstrated the amplifier with a single final radio the results wouldn't be nearly as impressive. Maybe the customer really wants to know what the box can really do?? I don't know, most of Luke's demonstrations are about MAX POWAH

543_Dallas, good call on the meter showing more power after the switch is flipped for peak reading, it should be the same reading with a dead carrier :confused: hmm..
I'll have to pay attention®™️
next time I see one of those kits being used on YouTube. I didn't realize that even the slugs can be tweaked, thank you for the insight!

Last edited:
I wouldn't have driven it with 90 watts unless it my own box and I wanted to prove a point, but if he demonstrated the amplifier with a single final radio the results wouldn't be nearly as impressive.

543_Dallas, good call on the meter showing more power after the switch is flipped for peak reading, (it should be the same reading with a dead carrier :confused:) and I didn't know that even the slugs can be tweaked! Thank You!

There's a lot of cb stuff in the qrz profiles. One guy actually has some key down trophies in the shack but the guys that would get bent out of shape don't even notice them. What's funny is when someone tries to sell or asks about a cb amp on the qrz forum. At one time you could register there without a call. I'm not sure if you still can.

Reactions: LeapFrog

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?