• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

.625w model with mast isolated (ISO) vs. not ISO.

Marconi

Usually if I can hear em' I can talk to em'.
Oct 23, 2005
Houston
Model 1, is my .625w 4 x 104" at 36' model that is not isolated (ISO)
upload_2016-9-30_20-12-40.png

Model 1, is a .625 wave antenna model with 4x104" radials and the antenna is not isolated at the mast/mount bracket. Notice the heavy currents (in red) noted at the top of the mast. These currents are heavy and are in-phase with the bottom of the radiator and out of phase with the working part 1/2 wave at the top of the antenna.

For me this indicates a sure sign that there will likely be Common Mode Currents (CMC) on this setup, depending somewhat on the length of the attached feed line and/or mast.

Model 2, is the same antenna with the mast ISO by 3" inches at the mount.
upload_2016-9-30_20-7-1.png

Notice the absence of currents on the mast. Below each image is the antenna pattern.

Also notice the difference in gain between these two. What would we figure causes the ISO model to show less gain than the model without isolation?

Admittedly I did not match the antennas, but I did notice that the match on these two shows just a few points difference. I once though the difference in gain was due to difference in the match with my models, but this project does not seem to show that. So, what could be the cause of the difference in gain, and is the difference important to performance...or does a more efficient (accurate working) model tend to show the difference as less gain?

For comparison, here is an overlay of the two .625 wave models above.

Note: the values for gain/maximum angle of the Primary model at the top of the page is seen on the left hand side of the image, and the model with the (*) beside it is the gain/angle values on the right hand side.

upload_2016-9-30_21-6-52.png

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.