• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

959 high dead key issue

I bought one from CBKIDD it is a Tek 465B with DM-44 I don't see any calibration stickers. Good tool because you have two tools in the space of one.
Using a scope to set frequency will get you two things, off frequency and a non working SSB radio.
SSB is way more sensitive to frequency than AM only. This reading is only ONE Hertz off From perfect. Even with an accurate counter a reading like this is hard to achieve.
3020-1407437340-392db11be8250f77d52120286313eb10.jpg

http://worldwidedx.com/threads/hp-5382a-frequency-counter-working.217127/

Last edited:
Reactions: Robb
Just went out to tune it and its showing barely any movement off 1 on the swr meter on channel 1 and 40. Idk if thats good or if the meter on my radio is off. But its still dead keying about 8w and swing up to 12 or more on AM
I went back to re-read your post and the only place you should be reading wattage is into a 50 Ohm resistive load. Any reactance inductive or capacitive will change the value of your readings.
Is it possible you bought the radio "Tuned up?" I have seen the result of some of the "Tuning" by less than knowledgeable technicians. One dirty trick is they change the watt calibration of the meter so that they appear to meet advertised gains of their special "Tuning" process.

Last edited:
Alright i have a bit of an update. I bought the astatic swr meter because according to the one on my radio i had perfect swr across all the channels and it didnt seem right to me. So now i tuned the antenna and the best i can get is 1.9-2.0 accross all the channels. So now i figured id check the power output on the power meter on the radio. Now it says its 3-4watts. Ok cool. So i flip it to swr on the radio amd its reading way higher then the astatic meter. So my guess is the swr meter on the radio is out of wack. So theres that problem fixed. But now im wondering if i should try and get that swr a little better. If so how can i go about it?

I went back to re-read your post and the only place you should be reading wattage is into a 50 Ohm resistive load. Any reactance inductive or capacitive will change the value of your readings.
Is it possible you bought the radio "Tuned up?" I have seen the result of some of the "Tuning" by less than knowledgeable technicians. One dirty trick is they change the watt calibration of the meter so that they appear to meet advertised gains of their special "Tuning" process.

Ya that was the issue. I didnt know that. Im new to radios. All i knew was that my radio had a "power" meter on it so i figured that was what it measured lol. But like u said previously, the high swr was throwing off the reading. Anyway. Thanks for all the help turns out it was just my own ignorance that was the problem lol. Well that and the swr meter on the radio being off

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?