1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

98VHP w/ 63FFC4 bottom

Discussion in 'CB Radio Modifications' started by TheRealPorkchop, Oct 11, 2017.

1. TheRealPorkchop

TheRealPorkchop
    Expand Collapse

I was being facetious.

I'm not saying he's getting those watts but I'll tell you what he is doing, he's showing you he is in that video and every other video that he's posted of doing that mod. And at 12v I will agree, it just isn't possible but wait, watch it again and the impossible is possible. What could possibly be wrong with a Bird meter to get that, a slug that's out of calibration? Maybe, I don't know. Again, I'm not singing the song of his praises, I'm asking a question as to how it's possible, what is he doing, whether it's wrong or not... what is he doing to get that to show that way?

And in my mind, since it's not possible, when some dude buys that radio and gets it in the mail and it's not putting out anywhere near that power, somebody is gonna be ticked off. Look at his website and see what he charges for that radio, you'll be floored. Someone dropping close to $1500 in a Galaxy 98VHP to find it doesn't do 900 watts PEP, you tell me they won't be seriously disturbed. And if it were me, I'd be on YouTube commenting or posting my own video of how it doesn't perform as stated, yet I don't see that. So again, how's it possible or impossible yet being shown right there in front of your eyes... what's he doing to falsify that reading if that's in fact what he is doing?

2. TheRealPorkchop

TheRealPorkchop
    Expand Collapse

Also, if you watch the 2970 video, he says he believes the black top transistors are DEI, they're not. I've got some laying right here and they are HG Semi. They are in the factory Ranger board, untouched, in fact it is a factory bottom from a 63FFC4.

And then I have another board here, a replacement board that you have to supply your own transistors for, and I have a brand new set of matched red dots. New board, new transistors.

His video(s) are showing a huge difference between the HG's and Toshiba's but I'm right here looking at the difference and it's very, very minimal.

With the HG's I was seeing 250-300 watts average and about 500 watts PEP. And with the red dot's, about 300-350 average and maybe 500-550 PEP.

And that's on a 98VHP with more than desirable bias on the driver and finals in the radio itself and with one of those super-duper NPC mods (yea I know, I know). The point being that regardless of how crappy I've set this radio up, there still isn't no 800-900 watts PEP and there won't be.

And pay attention... he clearly says if he had a 100 amp supply that would hold 14.5 volts that he'd get over 1000 watts PEP out of that... I'd have to see that and then I'd be back here asking HOW all over again because it's just not possible. So for the 100th time in this thread, how is he doing it?

3. Robb

Robb
    Expand Collapse
    Yup

Editing!

Because it isn't in the electronics.

If you are getting 400-500w out of your box, I would take that as a good sign that you did your part right - and leave it at that.

binrat likes this.
  4. TheRealPorkchop

TheRealPorkchop
    Expand Collapse

Maybe it's that SP-1A he's putting in there...haha.

5. Robb

Robb
    Expand Collapse
    Yup

He's gotta have something wrong with his test setup.
    But I'd agree with you that his customers will be pissed.

#20 Robb, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  6. TheRealPorkchop

TheRealPorkchop
    Expand Collapse

Yea if I had $1300 to toss around I'd order one just to see for myself. Which is why I started this experiment in the first place. I'm kinda disappointed that nobody has stepped in with claims otherwise.