• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

a friend gave me the two amps . . .

HomerBB

Jan 4, 2009
Rogers, Ar
Photos and questions to come. I don't know much about them, but I figure this is a good place to ask.

All I know is one of them has 4 2sc2879 pills, and the other has 8 pills that have the numbers sanded off the tops of the pills.

The four pill works some, the other I have no idea . . .

This one still keys up, but only 200 - 225 watts:

amp029_zps35102a75.jpg
amp011_zpsa3284e15.jpg

This one has 8 pills and I has no idea what it is about.

amp2027_zps5ad5ba56.jpg
amp2026_zps029bb403.jpg

amp2025_zps948df574.jpg
amp2023_zps6f6469b7.jpg

amp2020_zps5800b48b.jpg

That second one is not an amp. I would say some sort of a motormaul or switched battery controller.

Bin is correct, looks like it was meant to let 2 battery's charge off the car system in parallel @ 12 volts then put them in series to allow high voltage to be run on the amp used with it, home built, parts missing and real ugly.

The Amp looks like.
It looks like the heat sink is good.
And if you pull the transistors and check them and they are all good that is a plus.
Wins the prize for worst soldering.
and least amount of parts and still make RF ( of some kind)
It is real crude.

Jeff

Looks like two of the four 2879s have been replaced in the amp (the two with the gorilla soldering, the one you can see in the second picture has a different lot number).

Reactions: 1 person
that motor maul isnt anything new,alot of police and fire and ems use to use them to up the amps and filte the transievers back in the 30s till the 80s...Motorla and rca use to use them,i have a 6mtr coverted radio still that was a old MSHP radio on 42mhz that use everyday on 52.525fm...73 de JW

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.