• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A Ham I Am

Riverman

Nov 12, 2013
A while back I made the decision to enter the world of amateur radio.

I began studying for my license and even set up a station and began listening. However, one day I decided to give it up. I cited a number of reasons in a thread entitled “Reversing Course”.

I know how foolish I must have looked, but truth is the real reasons I abandoned my pursuit were not disclosed in the thread. They are twofold. First, while I was passing the practice Technician tests with ease, I was having great difficulty with the General tests. And then, my sister’s husband died. He was much more than just a brother-in-law to me. He was a father, uncle, brother and my best friend. My desire and concentration gone, I felt the need to put the ham thing behind me so as to have one less thing on my cluttered mind. Hence, I quit and sold my equipment.

But life moves on. Months later my interest rekindled and I began studying for my Technician ticket again. Yesterday I took the test and passed.

This time around I went with an old school radio, the Icom 7200. It is a snap to use and performs beautifully. I love it. And yes, I have once again begun studying for my General ticket and one day will take the test. In the meantime, I’ll hang out on 6 and 10 Meters. They’re slow right now but still fun.

And now you know the rest of the story.

Here’s a pic of my modest ham station in my garage. Hey, it beats setting up on the kitchen table and taking it down each evening. Time to build a ham shack in the backyard! :)

Station.JPG

Jim

Last edited:

Sorry for your loss, Riverman. I recently lost my Mom, and it has been really tough. Glad you decided to pursue the hobby after all! Best of luck to you, and keep studying. I'm still kicking myself for putting off getting my ticket for so many years. Tons of fun, and lots of playgrounds to play on.

Brett

Reactions: binrat and Riverman
Sorry for your loss, Riverman. I recently lost my Mom, and it has been really tough. Glad you decided to pursue the hobby after all! Best of luck to you, and keep studying. I'm still kicking myself for putting off getting my ticket for so many years. Tons of fun, and lots of playgrounds to play on.

Brett

So sorry to hear about your mom, Brett.

Reactions: 2RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.