• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A question about the Citizens Band

Raccoon

Oct 27, 2005
www.youtube.com
Hi everyone ,
I talk on the Ham Radio , and on the C.B. too from time to time . The other night I was on 10 meters talking with a few friends and one of them started talking about the 11 meter band .

He said that the FCC was considering a proposal to take the 11 meter band from the CBer's and using it as a business band with digital mode , from somewhere in the 26 Mhz range to 27.800 mhz . He's saying that they're suppose to make a decision one way another in October of 2009 . Myself and a few friends have been looking around on the internet to see if we could find some information about this proposal , but we're not finding anything .

Has anyone else here heard anything about this proposal about the 11 meter band , or is this just the rant of a Ham Operator that dislikes the 11 meter band for one reason or another ?

If it is real , could someone please post some information about it here , I'd really like to learn more about it if it's real . Thanks

99 chances out of a 100 its probably one of those qrz pr**ks that started that crap. I've only had my tech license for about 3 or 4 weeks an just passed the general a coupla days back. After doing some reading on qrz an a coupla other ham sites I'm about ready to give them the damn license back an say to hell with the whole ham bunch. I've never seen such a bunch of cry baby fricken hypocrites in my life as that bunch of morons are.

Ron

99 chances out of a 100 its probably one of those qrz pr**ks that started that crap. I've only had my tech license for about 3 or 4 weeks an just passed the general a coupla days back. After doing some reading on qrz an a coupla other ham sites I'm about ready to give them the damn license back an say to hell with the whole ham bunch. I've never seen such a bunch of cry baby fricken hypocrites in my life as that bunch of morons are.

Ron

Don't let the haters on QRZ discourage you---the ham bands are NOT like that at all. Yes, there are some real dicks out there on the bands, but they are a small minority. Most of the guys on the bands are fine, polite, helpful, and welcoming.

I agree with Highlander_821 ,

first ... I'm not for it if they're planning on doing it ... and they really would have a hard time doing it with all the CBers and the Freebanders out there .

second ... Cat Driver , just because you met a few morons in Ham Radio doesn't mean we're all idiots . I started out in C.B. about 15 years ago , I got my Ham License 5 years ago , and "Yes" , I met a few morons when I started out too . But I continued on into the Hobby and I learned that although there are some real idiots that somehow managed to get their amateur license ... there are a lot more decent Hams than there are idiots . I also upgraded to General Class , I love DXing . Anyway , don't get discouraged Cat Driver .

Let's remember that the FCC has no right to change anything. They are given a mandate to uphold regulations; they are not the law makers or givers.
You can petition your local Fed representative as to what you think how 11 meters should be used. If there is enough of an uproar from enough 11 meter people, they can change a lot of things about it if they stick together and stick to their guns.

He said that the FCC was considering a proposal to take the 11 meter band from the CBer's and using it as a business band with digital mode , from somewhere in the 26 Mhz range to 27.800 mhz . He's saying that they're suppose to make a decision one way another in October of 2009 . Myself and a few friends have been looking around on the internet to see if we could find some information about this proposal , but we're not finding anything .

Has anyone else here heard anything about this proposal about the 11 meter band , or is this just the rant of a Ham Operator that dislikes the 11 meter band for one reason or another ?

If it is real , could someone please post some information about it here , I'd really like to learn more about it if it's real . Thanks
No mention of it on the FCC website that I can find, nor at GPOAccess.gov. Such a change would require an NPRM before it could be implemented, and I can't find any NPRM that touches on Part 95 of Title 47, which is where the implementing regulations for CB live.

I would love to see "11 meter people" petitioning their Congresscritters to defend their band; that might be enough to get Congress to mandate the FCC to shut down CB once and for all.

No mention of it on the FCC website that I can find, nor at GPOAccess.gov. Such a change would require an NPRM before it could be implemented, and I can't find any NPRM that touches on Part 95 of Title 47, which is where the implementing regulations for CB live.

I would love to see "11 meter people" petitioning their Congresscritters to defend their band; that might be enough to get Congress to mandate the FCC to shut down CB once and for all.

Nah, not necessarily. Congresscritters need grassroot causes to make them look like they are doing their jobs. Sure, the FCC might get more frisky with CB'ers, but that is a question of how well CB'ers can all hang together and make it harder for the FCC to come down on them by being more careful until these rights are aquired in the meantime.
It's a half empty - half full situation. At least, that is one way of looking at it...

Shut down 11? LOL.... yea sure, only thing more ridiculous is to whore it out to some big corporate entity for Digital Communications...

Though it would be amusing to listen to... 50 KW slapping that little digital signal.. The band is going to be a mess of Heterodyne and huge signals very soon... At the peak of the last sunspot cycle you literally could not talk local more then a few hundred yards...

Ron

Hey I hear ya CD, I kicked qrz to the curb a few months ago.

Ham radio = good

qrz is NOT ham radio. The internet is not ham radio.

Remember these and you'll be fine. Keep it on the air - no worries mate!

interview.gif

Sounds like a good time to junk the whole radio hobby...between the power freaks on 11 meters and the rude self-important pricks on the ham bands radio is not as optionally fun as it used to be. Even the forums are becoming self centered.:angry:

Sounds like a good time to junk the whole radio hobby...between the power freaks on 11 meters and the rude self-important pricks on the ham bands radio is not as optionally fun as it used to be. Even the forums are becoming self centered.:angry:

I can't blame your reasoning/logic P.
You right.
However, while there is still the means to use it, I will continue.

Can you imagine 11 meters being allowed to be used by business when there are well over 1 miilion possible pirate stations to mess their plan up? CB radios from every garage and attic just waiting to be hooked back up and ran on mobiles. Flea markets still have them, also so many people have them just lying around dormant for now. All of those 10-20 radios you have stored will suddenly be worth more money - too. It can never work out the way they want with so much working against them. They would be foolish to try. That doesn't mean they can't be foolish about it - though...

I haven't heard anything about this proposal either, and it definatley would surprise me. If they did go digital with it, it wouldn't take very long to kill off the CBers. Sure there are some big stations that would hassle the band for a while, but most digital modes make the band total useless for voice communications. Just try talking over a heterodyne sometime...it's pointless without a rig that can notch it out. Anyway, I can't see this happening any time soon.

Let's remember that the FCC has no right to change anything. They are given a mandate to uphold regulations; they are not the law makers or givers...

:confused::confused: gee, and for years, i thought that the FCC created the current regulations.

has the telecommunication act (as ammended) been revoked :(

Taking away 11 meters in the States would be like going to the backwoods in a southern state and saying we are taking away your guns

:blink:

I just cant see that happening

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.