• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A99 question

"the kit" is only marginally effective . I does work as intended, pulling the usable radiation pattern down "somewhat" but still results in a net negative gain compared to a simple 1/4 wave. My experience is anecdotal only and consists of a side by side comparison of the two. The only difference I was able to detect was some selective fading of the non ground plane antenna at a remote receiver that the ground plane attached antenna did not exhibit. Pretty thin evidence but all I have .
Unlike the extensive information W8JI provides I'm afraid you have only my word on this. Tom may have answered this in forum (most likely eHam) but I can't be sure with out an exhaustive search.

btw , good question !

Never used an A99 but did briefly use an Imax. The only thing I ever heard about the A99 is it's known as a RF bleed-stick.

I used the Imax because at 5/8th WL, it was also a 1/4 WL on 15 meters. This worked good enough at the time to cover the upper bands my primary antenna didn't.

I since moved on to a better multband dipole for most of the HF bands and a Maco103c running horizontally for 10/11 meters.

OCFD @ 80' agl fed with rg8 from Drake MN2700B into a 4:1 current balun. Depending on total length includes 5 0r 6 bands including 10 and 11m . I also have a small portion of 6m. This is probably just a happy mistake on my part.
The loop is horizontal at 60' and 234' open fed from the balun in the Drake.
There is still a piece of hairpin matched 5/8 wave scrap metal on the roof.
Then the diamond dual band
the "J" poles
the "thing" on the garage
The SG-230 fed 34' vertical
the beverage running around the fence line
the covert beverage running down the alley
the great gutter experiment (for my HOA restricted friends)
the attic dipole experiment (also for my HOA restricted friends)
the pneumatic/vacuum mast/pole/vertical experiment
extensive 802.11 wireless mesh network shared with a dozen neighbors. (panels/yagis/dishes everywhere)

Yup , kinda sick this way :)

Reactions: LeapFrog
I really don't care what some snooty ham has to say i go by real world exp and i'm saying the A99 IS NOT THAT BAD!!!!!! I know lots of guys that run them and they work just fine. Sorry but i don't go by fancy formulas and crap i go by real exp. Liker i said i own all kinds of other antennas and i have used all kinds over the past 30 some years..

Reactions: Marconi
I really don't care what some snooty ham has to say i go by real world exp and i'm saying the A99 IS NOT THAT BAD!!!!!! I know lots of guys that run them and they work just fine. Sorry but i don't go by fancy formulas and crap i go by real exp. Liker i said i own all kinds of other antennas and i have used all kinds over the past 30 some years..

Enough is enough. W8JI is far from a snooty ham as you called him. IF you knew anything about Tom you would realize that he has quite a reputation in the engineering field and is indeed a well respected ham. He is the designer of pretty much ALL of the Ameritron line of amplifiers as well as a world class DXer and runs his own RF engineering company producing world class amplifiers. His antenna system and knowledge is second to only a very select few. His product reviews are no bullshit and straight up. Although the A99 works it is till a crappy antenna when compared to most others. I have had antennas that worked the world but they were still a piece of crap when compared to other similar antennas.

I dont care if they are as you say "crappy" as i have run all kinds of antennas and if you guys dont believe me then that's just fine with me because my friends are the only ones that matter anyways and none of you are my friends... Besides if you want to run a better antenna just put up a freaking beam.. I don't dwell on which omni is better than the others as i run a 5 element yagi up 50' anyways and it gets out all day long with a straight radio... To me its "as long as it gets out that's all that matters." You techie nerds make a mountain out of a mole hill... LOL. Im outta here...................

because my friends are the only ones that matter anyways and none of you are my friends...

You dug a hole and then fell in. Then you blamed other people for you falling into the hole you dug all by yourself. Then you say that no one here matters as only your friends matter and we are not your friends...

If that is the case, why are you here in the first place? Why are you logged in after saying...

Im outta here...................

???

Just a question by a...

snooty ham

That is a snooty ham that could have put some holes in some of the things others said about the antenna in question, especially the models posted above...

That being said, while it is a functional antenna, I wouldn't call it a great antenna, not by a long shot.

Finally saying things like 'snooty ham" says more about you than it does hams. Here, on this forum, we have no problems with the cb side of things talking to the ham side of things and vice versa. Many from both sides frequent both sides of the forum, and some of us are active with both ham and cb radio. You may want to take a step back and look at the truth, we are all hobbyists here no matter where we operate. Different people have different amount of skill and knowledge than other people in the hobby, and that is fine. Everyone deserves a certain amount of respect, so when you spout off to people who are actually trying to help you improve your hobby, what do you expect?

If you made up your mind, that is fine, but just because you believe something doesn't mean it is true, and doesn't mean that people have to believe what you say just because you have the so called almighty "experience". I guarantee that their are people here that have had different experiences with said antenna than you, and I am one of them.

The DB

Silver Devil,

If you ever reconsider and are still interested in finding a solution to your antenna problem, I have a suggestion.

Purchase a 10' cane fishing pole at Walmart for $3.34. Attach it to the top of the antenna's middle section using a couple of hose clamps. Attach a piece of copper wire the length of an A-99 top section to the cane pole using zip ties or electrical tape. Solder the bottom of the wire to the antenna where the top section usually screws in. Or screw in an inexpensive stud mount and attach the wire to it without having to solder. Waterproof the connection, trim the excess off the top of the cane pole and you're done! Should work great. And you can leave your fiberglass whips intact.

Jim

Last edited:
Reactions: undertaker
Problem solved. I just cut the whip. I just got home from installing it on a friends house and he's talking all over with it now on skip. He likes it so far.

Reactions: Riverman
OCFD @ 80' agl fed with rg8 from Drake MN2700B into a 4:1 current balun. Depending on total length includes 5 0r 6 bands including 10 and 11m . I also have a small portion of 6m. This is probably just a happy mistake on my part.
The loop is horizontal at 60' and 234' open fed from the balun in the Drake.
There is still a piece of hairpin matched 5/8 wave scrap metal on the roof.
Then the diamond dual band
the "J" poles
the "thing" on the garage
The SG-230 fed 34' vertical
the beverage running around the fence line
the covert beverage running down the alley
the great gutter experiment (for my HOA restricted friends)
the attic dipole experiment (also for my HOA restricted friends)
the pneumatic/vacuum mast/pole/vertical experiment
extensive 802.11 wireless mesh network shared with a dozen neighbors. (panels/yagis/dishes everywhere)

Yup , kinda sick this way :)

What, no rhombic? ;)
Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated