• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

About the MFJ 1026...

Matthieu Deschamps

Jul 11, 2017
Hi,

I just received my MFJ 1026 noise canceller.

Not knowing if it's "normal", I'm a little surprised by something : When the main antenna (long wire) is connected through the MFJ, before getting out to the receiver, I seem to loose 75% of the signal I receive. But au contraire, when the main antenna is connected directly to the receiver, the signal is way way stronger.

Is it the way it should be ? I did check everything was in order, connected everything properly, checked my wires, opened the MFJ to checker for the components.....everything seem to be ok.

Thanks,
Matt

these units do reduce noise from one source quite well.

they do require proper set up, here is a good read on setup. http://www.astrosurf.com/luxorion/qsl-mfj1026-2.htm

are both the MAIN and the AUX antenna polarized the same?
it almost sounds like BOTH antennas are not "hearing" the same signal, so the unit is phasing out the wanted signal.

goodluck

There's yer problem.

The noise antenna is supposed to be a lot smaller. Big enough to catch your nearby noise level, but too small to pick up the desired signals very well. Works best on anthropogenic (man-made) noise like power-line buzz.

The noise-only component of what your smaller 'noise' antenna picks up is what gets cancelled.

A full-size noise antenna that picks up everything the main antenna can hear will cancel out all that it hears.

And that sounds like what your setup would do.

That being said, disconnecting the noise antenna should bring the signal level back where it would be without the 1026.

If not, maybe your unit has a problem.

Hi,

Thanks for your response, I do appreciate.
Well, there is a lot I can't figure out...

1 - Strictly on a "main antenna" point of view, is it normal to loose 25 % of the signal when the main antenna is connected in the MFJ (wether the MFJ is on or off, doesn't make any difference), versus when it is directly into the receiver ? If it is, fine......but even as a beginner, it seems odd to me. And it creates another problem : when I try to find signals, it suddenly makes the 1.5 to 30 Mhz much quieter than usual...

2 - Now, the thing that intrigue me the most is that here doens't seem to be much fluctuation of the "S" meter. It will be stable at "8" or "5", but barely move at all (and it's not because it's not responsive in other situations, it seem to work fine). Even if I follow flawlessly what the instructions say, in all the maneuvers I'm doing with the aux antenna, the main antenna, the clockwise and counter-clockwise, the "S" meter chooses a number, and stays there (which makes phasing totally useless : I don't even know where the "friction point" is, at the base... But hey : maybe it's my way of handling things, at this point......I'm scratching my head....

So basically, the signal is practically nulled when I put the MFJ power on (even if the main antenna is at 10, and the aux antenna at 0.

I did try to replace the noise antenna with a shorter wire that runs outside. Unfortunately for me, it doesn't seem to make any difference...

Thanks for reading me :)
Matt

i have a brand new 1 in the box. i was getting noise from a transformer. they replaced it. now i got this 200 dollar thing n.i.b

I was thinking the same thing : hang on to it. How many times in life have I thought ''Gee...I wish I still had this or that thing...'' (well, personally...).

The thing I don't get with the 1026 is that, the moment I put the power on, then appears all kind of audio garbage that wasn't there when the power was off (even if I do follow the instructions meticulously, and with the noise antenna at zero). Is this normal ?!?

Matt

I'm not familiar with that '1026'. The old one they used to make had to be tuned/adjust to, get rid of any noise. I'm assuming you've done that. If so, then I would have to think that there may be something wrong somewhere. Don't ask me what, I have no idea, sorry.

I so need this some one around my block is blasting some thing out it is on a timer or a light sensor... it is freaking s9

Last edited:
I so need this ...
I just happen to have one for sale;

http://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/fs-mfj-1026-deluxe-noise-canceling-signal-enhancer.217547/

25zmmb9.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.