• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Alexloop

If you purchase the loop try it on 27 mhz and give a direct comparison to what you currently have.The loop should work best at the higher frequencies .

VK, I won't be able to compare as I sold my CB stuff to help fund my Ham endeavor. LOL.

Never mind .I was just thinking many reviews you see don't do comparisons. As the saying goes" in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king". Good luck with your Ham endeavors . hope to catch you on HF sometime.

I am posting some pics of the Alexloop below for those who aren't familar with it.
The fellow using the antenna is its creator Alexandre Grimberg - PY1AHD

th
th
img03.jpg

Last edited:
It was a years ago, unfortunately I have no pictures of it....not that is looked that good anyway.
I made the loop from scrap 1/2 inch soft copper tubing the length was about 10 feet. The feed loop was made from about 10 inches of old 213 coax, building materials included a hand full of zip ties and 1/2 inch wooden dowels, the tuning cap came out of a old shortwave radio, i do not even know what the rating was in puffs or the voltage rating. It never arced over at the low level i was using it at.
I had it mounted on a base made from plywood and 1x4 scraps.
I was surprised how well it worked.

I used this for several weeks, then I took it apart, and started using the metal downspout outside my patio as a feed for the rain gutters up on the top story of the apartment complex with my might fine junk tuner...........
The first thing about living in a apartment complex is to NEVER let on that you are a ham.
When the comments pop up about the weird noises coming from the cheap am/fm radios or computer speakers just look at them like a deer in headlights and say " yah i heard that too, sounded like space aliens " then mumble something about voodoo healing and walk away slowly, shaking your head.

Jeff

Reactions: 2RT307
Thanks, Jeff.
Still laughin' at your story. That's one reason I'm considering a magnetic loop--when the neighbors come calling, I can just slide it and my radio under my bed.

And thanks for the article. The author says he's worked over 80 countries with only 5 Watts SSB and the antenna sitting in his living room.

I also liked his "bamboo tuning stick" idea. I'm going to keep that in mind!

Jim

Last edited:
Update.
Before I could put my plan in action, life got in the way as it is prone to do. Now, two years later I am finally hoping to get it back on track.

Here's my question:
There has been a lot of talk recently about the DX conditions being poor on 11 meters for the next few years. What can I expect on the Ham frequencies?

Last edited:
Have decided to listen to reason and the recommendations of many and purchase a full-power HF rig for my first radio and postpone my purchase of the Yaesu FT-817ND and Alexloop until further down the road. My thanks to those of you who helped me see the light. If any of you own an Alexloop I would greatly appreciate you posting a review here so this thread doesn't sit wasted.

Update.
Before I could put my plan in action, life got in the way as it is prone to do. Now, two years later I am finally hoping to get it back on track.

Here's my question:
There has been a lot of talk recently about the DX conditions being poor on 11 meters for the next few years. What can I expect on the Ham frequencies?
This is my first time as a ham to go through the downside of a solar cycle. I'm told that even when the bands are dead, there are other options (digital mode wise) where you can still dx. I'm not really into digital and enjoy ssb phone, but may have to consider it. Nice thing about having your ticket is there are so many bands to play on. That's one of the biggest reasons I got my General license!

Brett

This is my first time as a ham to go through the downside of a solar cycle. I'm told that even when the bands are dead, there are other options (digital mode wise) where you can still dx. I'm not really into digital and enjoy ssb phone, but may have to consider it. Nice thing about having your ticket is there are so many bands to play on. That's one of the biggest reasons I got my General license!

Brett

Darned old solar cycle!
Heck. Might just save my money and wait a couple of years. LOL.

Can't believe I started this thread nearly three years ago. Holy cow, where did the time go? Well, better late than never.

Just ordered the Alexloop!

There are a lot of 'nets' on 80/40/20m. Just tune around. Usually 6-9am, then noon till 2, and some evening ones. When you find the freq. lock it in memory and jot down times..

I check in most days when I'm not working..

There are a lot of 'nets' on 80/40/20m. Just tune around. Usually 6-9am, then noon till 2, and some evening ones. When you find the freq. lock it in memory and jot down times..

I check in most days when I'm not working..

Thanks, K3. Can't do the 80 (antenna only works 10-40) but will definitely give the others a listen!

Last edited:
Came today!

IMG_0180.JPG

IMG_0185.JPG

Quality looks to be excellent. Will post more pics in a day or two when I have a chance to set it up and listen. Looking forward to getting my tests behind me so I can quit lying in bed at night worrying about farads and henrys. o_O

Last edited:
I have my tripod. Took this gentleman's suggestion from his video on youtube:

However, I wasn't able to find the same make and model as his. But I did find a similar one at Lowe's for $24.95: The setup is slightly different but it works just as beautifully.

IMG_0188.JPG

This one is too tall for me fully extended, so I only extend it to a height of 48" and drop a piece of 1/2" pvc inside until I have 4" left protruding at the top:

IMG_0186.JPG

After sliding the bottom portion of the Alexloop shaft over the pvc, the tuning knob is at a comfortable 54".

IMG_0187.JPG

If life will slow down a bit, I'll get everything completely set up and post some more pics. Oh, and by the way, the halogen light portion is fantastic. Has its own carrying handle, tilt base and works great! Well worth the money.

Attachments

• IMG_0188.JPG
    IMG_0188.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.