• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Alinco DX-SR8T and MFJ-939 auto antenna tuner help..

CB590

W9WDX Member
Jun 29, 2016
Trenton Nj
www.590dx.com
Looking on page 22 for the MFJ-939 directions I see a problem with pin out when compared to the Alinco DX-SR8T which can use EDX-2 auto tuner.

On Alinco DX-SR8T its

Pin 1 Tune 1
Pin 2 Tune 2 not used
Pin 3 Key
Pin 4 13.8
Pin 5 GND

The manual for EDX-2 matches the above as well.

On MFJ939 manual page 22 for Alinco radios that can use the EDX-2 tuner..

Pin 1 GND
Pin 2 13.8
Pin 3 Key
Pin 4 not used
Pin 5 Start (Tune 1 guessing)

Help.. Will the 939A with Alinco cable just plug in to the SR8T??

Anyone here have the MFJ939A model and SR8T??

I'd rather confirm up before I buy the 939A and have issues.

As you listed it, don't plug it in.

Read the Mfj manual closer, there are jumpers inside the tuner that need to be moved for different radios. Most likely this corrects the pinout differences.

Only when you're sure, then you should be safe. You can contact Mfj tech support.

Alinco Radio Interface:
Any of the MFJ-939 series can be modified for use with Alinco radios by changing the jumpers and replacing the interface cable.
The MFJ-5114A radio interface allows users of EDX-2 compatible Alinco transceivers to connect to the MFJ-939 Plug&Play IntelliTuner™ Automatic Antenna Tuner. With this interface, control signals are connected between the radio and the tuner. The operator can then control the tuner with a single push of the [TUNE] button on the front panel of the radio. Supported Alinco radios are DX-70, DX-77, DX-701, DX-801, and any Alinco radio that supports the Alinco EDX-2 tuner.

Page 22 of Manual...you need a separate interface plus the MFJ-939...and internal jumpers in the tuner need to be changed before operation

Reactions: fourstringburn
The auto tune
Alinco Radio Interface:
Any of the MFJ-939 series can be modified for use with Alinco radios by changing the jumpers and replacing the interface cable.
The MFJ-5114A radio interface allows users of EDX-2 compatible Alinco transceivers to connect to the MFJ-939 Plug&Play IntelliTuner™ Automatic Antenna Tuner. With this interface, control signals are connected between the radio and the tuner. The operator can then control the tuner with a single push of the [TUNE] button on the front panel of the radio. Supported Alinco radios are DX-70, DX-77, DX-701, DX-801, and any Alinco radio that supports the Alinco EDX-2 tuner.

Page 22 of Manual...you need a separate interface plus the MFJ-939...and internal jumpers in the tuner need to be changed before operation
That's exactly what I read, but I don't think he understands it well. The internal jumper(s) needs to be moved.

I prefer to be kind of vague giving someone advice when it comes to things like this so if he screws up, I won't be blamed.

I see what it is. The "A" in the model number refers to the radio brand which will be Alinco. That should mean as you say that the internal jumpers and interface cable is correct.

The pinouts may show different but I would assume the jumper corrects that.

I have the MFJ-993B tuner and the B means nothing to any radio brand and I was assuming the letter A referred to just the MFJ model number not the radio brand it's mated for.

I still would check the tuner jumper anyway so you can be rest assured it's correct.

Reactions: CB590
I'm sure MFJ will shed some light on this tomorrow when they're tech dept. gets in and gets my email. I didn't buy the 'tuner' yet.

Been reading up, not the first time MFJ had wrong pinout apparently on some other cabling for other models..

Now you see why most of us are leery about MFJ. It's not like all their products are bad, but there is quality control issues on some and wiring diagrams should be correct.

If you would have wired up your own cable, based on their information, you might have damaged your radio/tuner.

I didn't trust the guy on the phone today. I just ordered the 941e from DXEngineering that has decent reviews.

Figure I can learn how to use a tuner too. I can write down settings based on the frequencies I like for a reference point..

I like the random wire option (with ground of course on the tuner)..

Been looking at videos on how to manually tune as well.

Reactions: 2RT307
I didn't trust the guy on the phone today. I just ordered the 941e from DXEngineering that has decent reviews.

Figure I can learn how to use a tuner too. I can write down settings based on the frequencies I like for a reference point..

I like the random wire option (with ground of course on the tuner)..

Been looking at videos on how to manually tune as well.

If you can buy or borrow one of the antenna analyzers, it will make things REALLY easy. You can do it without even keying the radio... find your best tuning spots for your favorite bands, and you'll be able to tune in seconds. I keep mine written downin the chart that came with my tuner, but some guys put stickers on their tuners to show where to tune each band.

Brett

Reactions: CB590
Nothing wrong with a manual tuner. Auto tuners do have some quirks. I have a MFJ 949e which is similar to this one, just a larger size and meter.

This one is good because it also comes with a handy Dummy load which can be selected on tuner bypass or after you tuned a band.

Now go to the hardware store and get some stranded 12g THHN wire and make your antenna(s).

Nothing wrong with a manual tuner. Auto tuners do have some quirks. I have a MFJ 949e which is similar to this one, just a larger size and meter.

This one is good because it also comes with a handy Dummy load which can be selected on tuner bypass or after you tuned a band.

Now go to the hardware store and get some stranded 12g THHN wire and make your antenna(s).

I have 4 spools of 12AWG THHN here.. I heard satellite coax was better for random wire to cut back the RF though.. I do plan on using the 12AWG for grounding the tuner..

Is Coax better for random wire?

I have a new post here in this section about random wire..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.