• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

AM radios with cb 11 meter reception?

wouldn't surprise me at all, been hearing a lot of not so good news about them here lately. I had a 4 pill and it did great but this 6 has been a night mare. didn't work when I got it so now it is at the shop getting fixed, so yeah it don't surprise me one bit

the amp is about 3 years old now. I tried to get up with them when I first got it so they could fix it on warranty but they never would answer their phone or return my e-mails so I finally decided to get someone else to fix it

the amp is about 3 years old now. I tried to get up with them when I first got it so they could fix it on warranty but they never would answer their phone or return my e-mails so I finally decided to get someone else to fix it
I'm sure if you call him and tell him you want to purchase a new amplifier he will pick up the phone or return the call in a timely manner and then once you get him on the phone then you can tell him the real reason that you called.

I'm sure if you call him and tell him you want to purchase a new amplifier he will pick up the phone or return the call in a timely manner and then once you get him on the phone then you can tell him the real reason that you called.

You are obviously out of touch in respect to the AMP scene, these clowns who build amps only answer calls and emails from their mothers, or mothers boyfriends.

I think I got it figured out it does have a SSB switch on the from of it

99.999% of those SSB switches simply switch a capacitor into the relay circuit to hold the amp in TX between voice peaks on SSB. Without it the amp relay would chatter like crazy. They really have nothing to do with operating in SSB mode other than that.

Reactions: Tallman
For SSB class A/B bias is the only way to go. I have never heard of a class "B" biased amp. That does not mean they do not exist, I just have not seen one. I imagine there would be some crossover distortion if not done correctly.

Last edited:
Reference to tube amplifiers; solid state is similar:

Class A is biased in the middle of the most linear portion of the EgIp (grid voltage/plate current) curve. Plate current flows for 100% (360 degrees) of the time as long as the input signal doesn't drive the tube into cutoff. Least efficient but output is greater and is a perfect and undistorted larger "copy" of the input.

Class B is biased right at the cutoff point of the EgIp curve. Plate current flows for 180 degrees of the input signal. Quite a bit more efficient than Class A. Not suitable for audio amplifiers because the output is only 1/2 of the input signal.

Class C is biased "well beyond" cutoff. Plate current flows for MAYBE 90 degrees of the input signal. Not suitable for AM or SSB; fine for FM and CW, and many of the digital modes.

Then there are Class AB₁ and AB₂, biased somewhere between the most linear part of the EgIp curve and cutoff. Plate current flows for more than 180 degrees but not for the full 360.

For SSB class A/B bias is the only way to go. I have never heard of a class "B" biased amp. That does not mean they do not exist, I just have not seen one. I imagine there would be some crossover distortion in not done correctly.

There was an older tube amp that was class B. ....maybe a Collins?? Our tube type AM broadcast transmitters had a class C plate modulated RF amp and the audio amp modulator was class B. Distortion at full peak modulation was less than 1%.

Reactions: Tallman

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.