• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

AM SKIP LINGO

I agree. I definitely don't think it's "cool'. If conditions allowed and I were to make a contact to another country on AM I for sure would not be saying, and I just got up, and I just got down, you got a grip on my lip excetera excetera.

You would use all that cb jargon and some if you talked with any of those big guns in Australia. I think I added some Aussie frases to my jargon.

It's all good if you're enjoying radio. I don't care how you talk or what you're talking on. Anyone that looks down on you for having fun on the radio (as long as you aren't jamming or harassing someone) is not someone I want to talk to. If there that stuck up they need to find the local radio club's repeater where they can talk with like minded people.

Excellent point dallas, and I totally agree with you... If you do not like the way are acting or how they sound , you have the option of tuning to another channel or turning off your radio completely.. There are some guys that are really off the wall though, I just sit there and roll my eyes, LOL.. But to each there own , as long as they are not being a nuisance or harassing anyone like Dallas has mentioned, its all good in my book.. (y) Just enjoy the hobby and have fun out there..

73's guys.... Hope to hear one of you in the future... ;)

Last edited:
You would use all that cb jargon and some if you talked with any of those big guns in Australia. I think I added some Aussie frases to my jargon.
Don't think I'll ever have that problem. Just a mudd duck over here. I will never be nor do I strive to be a big gun. Just happy to make a couple of contacts, and a possibility a good qso. After that I'm usually content, and shut it down. 73

when shooting skip on AM i find that a little bit of personality goes a long way.
I don't use the standard lingo, and only use about 200 watts and i get people jumping over each other to get back to me. (i do admit to using the term 'DX land' quite a bit)

The real truth is that if you sound like you are a boring person, no one is going to want to talk to you, so why bother acknowledging the call.

It's a really sad part of the hobby that so many people like to talk on radios but have absolutely nothing to say.

Like everyone else, when i started talking DX it was all about the log book and collecting call numbers and locations. After a few years of that it starts getting very boring to make meaningless short information exchanges.

I go for the conversation, and have found that others want the same thing, you just have to get past their "mic fright".

so many people make a call on the radio and then get super nervous when someone responds. They want to end the contact as soon as possible. I try to push past that nervousness and ask them a question. Most of the time they respond and we can actually have a conversation.

so here's my advice to those who would like to increase their DX contacts: sound like you are having fun and others will want to join in on that fun.

(Sonar, you don't have to use the lingo, and i'm betting that it's not the change in verbiage that is increasing your comebacks; it's the change in vocal inflection. You most likely sound more interesting because you are 'whooping it up' a bit.)

On AM you do have to repeat yourself simply because of the fading nature of skip signals, but there is no need to speak phrases that aren't part of your everyday speech in order to get your name called.

On SSB you really just have to be on frequency for people to come back to you.
Again, if you sound like a fun person to talk to; you will get a lot of people coming back to you.

and with that, WE GONE BIG DADDY! Keep the shiny side up and stay out of the meat wagon! be me that four one zero and i just shot a clown.
LC

I do not like to try to talk to some one and all they say when you get in contact with them is some thing like ,how does my radio sound. and after that they have nothing else to say.. you can ask where they are at etc and they act like you are going to come to there home. you can ask them what stat they are in and they clam up. items like that makes it hard to talk to the person when it is one sided. just about what LC is saying.

Reactions: StrangeBrew
That's why truckers rarely give radio checks anymore, it's usually someone who want's to talk but has nothing to say. After a while you have the same three second conversation so many times that you know what it's going to be before you pick up the mic, at least when someone says something stupid it's probably something different.

How about the guys that think they are burning the woods down but are in the mud? They talk slow and take long pauses between sentences because they think they have the channel on hold. :LOL:

Shooting DX is a lot of fun.. Its hard to hold a conversation though when the DX is rolling, just to many stations on trying to make a contact.. You also have guys running big power, guys who have beams, etc, etc.. I run a very good ground plane antenna and have no problems shooting DX, but when a guy points that beam in any one direction, you are already at a slight disadvantage with all else being equal.. For local rag chewing I have a group of guys that meet every fri & sat night, started off with 2 guys now we are up to 11 and growing, the entire group is not on all the time in the summer, but in the winter when there is less to do, most of the group meets at least one of the the nights.

I really enjoy shooting skip and I always try to carry on a mini conversation when I make contact and most of the time I usually can, each exchanging 3-4 times, then conditions change or someone comes smashing in, or someone else is shouting your name, its all part of shooting skip.. Anyway, my 2 cents.. :)

Nice. We had a good thing like that going for a few years.

Yeah its definetly cool... And the time usually works for everyone as well.. We usually come on around 11pm and talk until 1am, thats when everyone signs off.. So after you do your thing, dinner, a movie, go for a drink , you can come home and turn on the radio and a few guys are on...

325 always listening.. (y)

73's

The late night DX is much more conducive to an actual conversation. I talked with Rooster for 10-15mins around midnight. Then 123 Chicago till I fell asleep. But boy do people get upset! I've heard people on gates talking all kinds of trash. Aint it funny how nice mean ducks can get when they actually break on through.
Most stations will talk to you...at least on 28. Channel 6 is just a mix of 30db's and politics. But lately Ive had some great late night QSO's with barefoot radios and ground planes.
Just because the channel is dead, does not mean there is no dx!!!! I only run a 4 pill and Wilson 5k in my pickup. And I'm constantly suprised by the contacts I get on "quiet" days. I've got Guam, Alaska, Melbourne, Quebec, Panama in the last month while the band was nearly only static.

Reactions: Troubleshooter
Nice... I talk to rooster all the time, from the base.. I was just talking to him yesterday afternoon, heard him on the band and I waved the hand.. I do not talk on channel 6, I always talk on channel 28.. Its a totally different crowd on channel 6.. :) I run a ground plane as well.

325 big apple trees always listening.. :whistle:

73's

when shooting skip on AM i find that a little bit of personality goes a long way.
I don't use the standard lingo, and only use about 200 watts and i get people jumping over each other to get back to me. (i do admit to using the term 'DX land' quite a bit)

The real truth is that if you sound like you are a boring person, no one is going to want to talk to you, so why bother acknowledging the call.

It's a really sad part of the hobby that so many people like to talk on radios but have absolutely nothing to say.

Like everyone else, when i started talking DX it was all about the log book and collecting call numbers and locations. After a few years of that it starts getting very boring to make meaningless short information exchanges.

I go for the conversation, and have found that others want the same thing, you just have to get past their "mic fright".

so many people make a call on the radio and then get super nervous when someone responds. They want to end the contact as soon as possible. I try to push past that nervousness and ask them a question. Most of the time they respond and we can actually have a conversation.

so here's my advice to those who would like to increase their DX contacts: sound like you are having fun and others will want to join in on that fun.

(Sonar, you don't have to use the lingo, and i'm betting that it's not the change in verbiage that is increasing your comebacks; it's the change in vocal inflection. You most likely sound more interesting because you are 'whooping it up' a bit.)

On AM you do have to repeat yourself simply because of the fading nature of skip signals, but there is no need to speak phrases that aren't part of your everyday speech in order to get your name called.

On SSB you really just have to be on frequency for people to come back to you.
Again, if you sound like a fun person to talk to; you will get a lot of people coming back to you.

and with that, WE GONE BIG DADDY! Keep the shiny side up and stay out of the meat wagon! be me that four one zero and i just shot a clown.
LC
I actually do get a bit nervous, and tongue tied once I get it knowledged on AM.
Most of my 2 years (since my return to CB) has been on SSB. I guess I need some more time on AM. Your advice seems solid. 73

As a life-long SSBer I personally think that DXing on AM is like self flagellation.

selfflagellation.gif

Reactions: 338_MtRushmore

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.