• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amateur Radio Quiz: The Yagi Antenna

ARRL

Nov 15, 2008
It’s a rare ham, indeed, that has not been exposed to the Yagi antenna design at one point or another in his or her ham career. Yagis are nearly everywhere -- from fantastically large wire arrays on the HF low bands to miniature metal sculptures at UHF and up. Enjoy this quiz to find out what you know about this versatile antenna!

More...

14 of 15 and the bonus for a score of 16:)

missed #10, i don't agree with their answer.
gain is not really a function of number of elements (yes , a slight increase does come from added elements) but, gain is mostly a function of boom length.

Not bad,I aced it! (y) Hookedon6, you have to remember that for the same number of elements a longer boom will provide more gain. Simply taking it as you stated could mean that a three element long boom yagi could have more gain than a twelve element short boom antenna.;)

Dr. Uda was the co-inventor of the "Yagi-Uda Array," known today by the simpler name.

I thought the understudy was Uda and actually invented the antenna, but the professor took the credit as he published the paper.

As I recall, Prof. Yagi was quite excited about the new design, giving a lot of verbal credit to his partner. This may be the origin of the expression:

"U DA man, dood!" :headbang

It does lose something in translation, however. "Anata wa hito desu" just doesn't have the same je ne sais quoi, for some reason.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.