• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ameritron

Ameritron is probably the cheapest manufacturer of legitimate amplifiers. The only thing I would warn any potential buyer is that you had better know what you are doing, and/or be able to read the manual, and pay attention to their recommendations. They don't make those recommendations to keep you 'legal', mostly they're there to keep you from buying new tubes.
You can get away with over driving most of their amplifiers a tiny bit, sort of. The one exception is that AL-1500, and that's because the tube isn't forgiving at all. The key words in that is 'tiny bit'.
As far as I'm concerned the AL-80 is the bottom of the line. The 811's and 572's are on the way out, they just are not going to be as common or cheap as they were at one time. All 'glass' tubes are going that way, some just have more usefulness than others.
That's not a prediction as much as it is from just watching things over the last couple dozen years. Take it or leave it.

Tell me what is the difference between a Legitimate amp and a nonlegitimate amp? Never heard that one. Oh I guess you meen a Chicken Bander Amp. Got ya.

I saw the ALS1300 too, but it is not available yet. Not for sale anywhere yet. Might be waitng for FCC approval yet.
Rich

What's new about this amp. Been out for several years. Don't see any changes in it.

The only thing new about it is that it's on the cover of the new Ameritron Catalogue but then again he also thought it had 3 tubes until questioned about it. He mains just as ignorant now as he did in his previous post.

The ability to assemble an amplifier is not the same skill as tuning and testing an amplifier.

Those ladies are very good with their hands and good assemblers, but might possibly know nothing about how to bench-test the units they build. Often these are separate tasks performed by separate people.

How very true. I have toured the Nautel AM/FM broadcast transmitter facility,which happens to be located here in nova Scotia BTW, and for the most part the assemblies are soldered by women. Even the wireing harnesses are laid out and hand built by women. They are VERY good at what they do but none of them could ever tell you what was wrong with a TX after it was fully assembled.

Well Ill tell you what I was an industrial painter for several years and I use to walk through the other departments and man those women would just be flying in the assembly departments tiny little screws and air drivers all in one motion zip in the screws went dexterity to the extreme.

I seen the new solidstate Ameritron in the book but for that price I guess I would look into the bigger tube amplifier line. I like my ALS-600 for the ease of no tune on the amplifier so it would be what one wants the ease of operation or more power.

Last edited:
Mr Clean,
Actually, I meant exactly what I said. Legitimate manufacturer, as opposed to one who is not legitimate. Which can also be construed as having no standards for what they do, or make, or who's standards do not meet common and reasonable expectations.
While I think that CB amplifier manufacturers do fall in that "lack of standards" category, and are far from being a 'legitimate' anything, they are far from being the only ones, they have lots of company. I'll bet you've rand across a few of them, most having nothing to do with electronics at all.
- 'Doc

you mean like the guys with the "extra" set of studio monitors the warehouse "accidently" gave them and they want to sell them real cheap real quick ?

Mr Clean,
Actually, I meant exactly what I said. Legitimate manufacturer, as opposed to one who is not legitimate. Which can also be construed as having no standards for what they do, or make, or who's standards do not meet common and reasonable expectations.
While I think that CB amplifier manufacturers do fall in that "lack of standards" category, and are far from being a 'legitimate' anything, they are far from being the only ones, they have lots of company. I'll bet you've rand across a few of them, most having nothing to do with electronics at all.
- 'Doc
Ones that are FCC type excepted I guess. OK I just didnt understand. . And are legal to be doing what they are doing. I think I get it. Thanks and not trying to stir the pot.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.