• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amplified Microphone

Seems to me as though everything MFJ makes might as well come from different manufacturers, quality control can vary quite a bit from one product to another. You really have to do your homework on the specific model you're interested in and forget about all their other stuff.

Reactions: Sonar
sorry to hear they ripped you off.
i have bought all my ham gear. from them with no problems.
bit the 297 is a great microphone.its smooth but loud not to loud. i keep everything turned down. yes the hand mics. sound good also cheers
It's actually more like I ripped myself off. I asked the members of this site about purchasing the mfj 828, and was warmed in advanced to stay away from their items.
Against their advice and my better judgement I went ahead and bought it anyway. It didn't work properly. I sent it back under warranty repair, and even though they sent it back with a receipt stating the meter works one hundred percent, it didn't!
I actually purchased three items at the same time. The 828, a 915 RF choke, and a 1500 watt dummy load. Two out of three wouldn't have been that bad had it been the 915 or the dummy load that didn't work. Those items were quite a bit cheaper than the $225 I spent on the 828.
I was lucky enough to score 2 autek WM1's as part of a trade. If anybody is interested in a Slightly Used mfj 828 that mfj told me worked 100% for them, but doesn't work probably for me drop me a pm. It always bothered me that the meter possibly does work properly, and it's my not so ideal antenna or spurious emissions causing that meter to go a little nuts before settleling down to a proper reading. I've seen pics, and a schematic of the meter itself and it looks very computer like inside. It could be possible that it's my once again not so ideal antenna and who knows what else inside my not so ideal Shack that's causing the meter to act Haywire. I know it should work on 11 meters although I always assumed when mfj tested it under warranty they did so on the amateur bands. I guess it's silly to assume that it's not working properly because I'm operating it on 11 meters. I know that makes no sense at all, and I don't even know why I said it. $225 is certainly a high price to pay for a purchase that according the majority of replies to my question about whether I should buy it or not, said to stay away from it (and anything MFJ.) Cold solder joints, loose so-239's and a plethora of issues that many buyers of mfj products experience.
After purchasing the meter and seeing the issues it had I checked eham reviews and found several reviewers stating the same exact issues with their meters that my meter was having. It's been sitting in its original box for almost 2 year's now. I wish I wouldn't have brought up the subject because by this time I had forgotten about it. Now that I think about it, it irks the shit out of me! Live and learn. 73

yes i understand your frustration. guess i just got lucky. but now
i think ill buy elsewhere. thanks for sharing
Jon

Reactions: Sonar

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated