• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amps and low pass filters

Aug 9, 2017
I have had some people saying that I have been messing with their TV's. I put out about 1k, so would a 3k filter be enough to eliminate the problem with peoples TV's I was even thinking maybe putting 2 on my coax, or would that be a better idea to make sure there is no problem.

Reactions: Sonar

will it affect cable or satilite tvs as much as it does just plain antenna TV's or does it make any difference. just trying not to piss off the nieghbors

If you cause TVI something is really wrong with your antenna/trx system.
Mike

Not necessarily. If the problem is frontend overload of the receiver the problem is with the device being interfered with and not the transmitter. I used to interfere with my neighbors TV but my own TV was fine. I ran coax cable and had proper connections while he ran crappy twinlead and had a broken TV antenna.

If filters will help run two of them, put one inline before the amp and then one after. It is easier to deal with harmonics before amplification! and then put another filter after the amp.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
Not necessarily. If the problem is frontend overload of the receiver the problem is with the device being interfered with and not the transmitter. I used to interfere with my neighbors TV but my own TV was fine. I ran coax cable and had proper connections while he ran crappy twinlead and had a broken TV antenna.
that is the way it is here too the people right next door says not a bit of interference nor does it mess with mine but the guy 300 yards away is having problems

If filters will help run two of them, put one inline before the amp and then one after. It is easier to deal with harmonics before amplification! and then put another filter after the amp.
tallman that is what I was going to do. I am just hopeing that it is that I am not over powering his TV. but yes I did order 2 of them

I just put up a new antenna and all new coax including the jumpers, I am not sure if he has Cable TV or antenna.

Have good ground on the antenna 1.2 SWR, was going to put a good ground on the amp to the outside to a grounding rod, all the grounding I can, cant have too many.

Chances are he has a very old crappy television that has tubes in it. I had one neighbor who went APE SH*T every time I keyed up, same scenario so I went to best buy and bought him a Digital Television.
We set the old dinosaur (TV not the old buzzard) out at the street.
No body even bothered to look at it sitting out there on the curb.
That solved the problem for me.

Chances are he has a very old crappy television that has tubes in it. I had one neighbor who went APE SH*T every time I keyed up, same scenario so I went to best buy and bought him a Digital Television.
We set the old dinosaur (TV not the old buzzard) out at the street.
No body even bothered to look at it sitting out there on the curb.
That solved the problem for me.
Tall man I have even thought about that too after reading some more into this problem. the good thing about it is when I first got the amp set up I asked him to let me know if I was interfering with him he came by and let me know that I was. I am the type that I would rather eliminate the problem before it becomes a problem. that way I don't have people all pissed off at me for doing what I enjoy doing talking DX. Like I said I am not one to Say screw every one if they don't like it,pissed off people don't make things better just worst

Reactions: Tallman
I have had some people saying that I have been messing with their TV's. I put out about 1k, so would a 3k filter be enough to eliminate the problem with peoples TV's I was even thinking maybe putting 2 on my coax, or would that be a better idea to make sure there is no problem.
Welcome to the family.
Your post would've been better posted on one of the other post choices.
It's a good question, and posting somewhere besides anoucments would've allowed more viewing.
Your question and the replies it receives helps others who might be having the same issues. Once again welcome to the site. 73

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.