• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

another "restored" Madison on the auction site

loosecannon

Mar 9, 2006
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1st-Genera...Awesome-/162916164599?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

the seller wants 475 dollars for the radio and states that it has been "restored for years of trouble free use".

Don't believe it!

all the electrolytics are stock and will fail eventually if not replaced.

all of the corrosive glue is still in the radio wreaking havoc on component leads.

Just because a radio has been aligned does not mean it's restored.

the freq counter is cool, but the radio still needs work.
LC

I agree.
Yeah all the caps look original. Uh oh; the 54mhz trap coils have been spread. The 'do not adj' seal had been removed from the double coil too and probably violated. Doesn't instill a lot of confidence to buy it after all that abuse by some hack. And what is that picture of a scope trace supposed to mean? Doesn't tell me anything valuable; it isn't a AM modulation reading - that's for sure. Only worth 1/5 of what he is asking for it - if that. . . .

Last edited:
I agree.
Yeah all the caps look original. Uh oh; the 54mhz trap coils have been spread. The 'do not adj' seal had been removed from the double coil and probably violated. Doesn't instill a lot of confidence to buy it after all that abuse by some hack. And what is that picture of a scope trace supposed to mean? Doesn't tell me anything valuable; it isn't a AM modulation reading - that's for sure. Only worth 1/5 of what he is asking for it - if that. . . .

Yeah that scope shot gave me a chuckle also.

It's most likely a shot of the PLL circuit being peaked, but i have no idea what settings he was using.

I forgot all about the spread coils, but something tells me that it wasn't done while looking at a spectrum analyzer. (i believe those coils are part of the half-wave filter after the final)

I am seeing more and more old base stations on epay that are being sold as "restored" when they should really say "peaked and tweaked".
LC

I read his listing again and he try's to make it sound as if the freq counter is his design. he does not say if it tracks on SSB properly or if it has a off set.
also he said he changed C172 cap which is a known problem to a 100 volt. I do not remember ever having that disk cap going bad.
I wonder if he is talking about the C179 cap that is bad about shorting out.
seems like he wants to hear his self typing. way to much listed for me to sell a 40 year old radio.

Superhawk has one also with 2 speakers that he says is a refurb. he does not show any internal pics . his has the 6 digit freq counter also.
I wish I had bought a few of the 6 digit counters a couple years ago. they were just under 3.00 shipped from China back then. I only bought 2 of them., I could kick myself now.
OH well live and learn.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PRESIDENT-...m=263515048798&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

Is the scope picture of that radio or something else....who knows. A little heat shrink tubing would be better than the tape.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.