• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

antenna design

Cold War Vet

KI7RPM
Aug 30, 2017
tucson az
guys its been awhile since ive been active but has anyone tried using RG-6 75 ohm coax in a multiwave design i mean totally every aspect all RG-6 for receiving DX or SWL

Are you asking about using it as feed line, or building a receive station for DX short wave listening ocer multibands?
As far as using it for feed line, while I'm not a SWL enthusiast, I've used it on CB and some Amateur bands.

For receiving you can using anything you want and it is not going to make much, if any detectable difference, at all. RG-6 is cheap and actually quite good coax. use it all you want. I know hams that use it instead of 50 ohm coax in a lot of long runs out to various antennas.

Reactions: wavrider
RG 6 works fine for.\ antennas.
I use it on many of my antennas here at the QTH, cheap, easy to work with, and lower loss than many of the expensive 50 ohm coax.
Adapters available on Ebay for SO239 or PL259.

Reactions: camaro1
That RG-6 is pretty good stuff. It isn't going to be a 'perfect' match, but no coax ever is. If you're observant, watch the cable TV guys and you can get miles of it!

Are you asking about using it as feed line, or building a receive station for DX short wave listening ocer multibands?
As far as using it for feed line, while I'm not a SWL enthusiast, I've used it on CB and some Amateur bands.

For receiving you can using anything you want and it is not going to make much, if any detectable difference, at all. RG-6 is cheap and actually quite good coax. use it all you want. I know hams that use it instead of 50 ohm coax in a lot of long runs out to various antennas.

RG 6 works fine for.\ antennas.
I use it on many of my antennas here at the QTH, cheap, easy to work with, and lower loss than many of the expensive 50 ohm coax.
Adapters available on Ebay for SO239 or PL259.

That RG-6 is pretty good stuff. It isn't going to be a 'perfect' match, but no coax ever is. If you're observant, watch the cable TV guys and you can get miles of it!

Homer BB,Captain Kilowatt,wavrider and PaulW5lz
thank you all for the info when i was in high school and up and untill i joined the military i was an active swl and amateur operator
then life happened now im at a point where im rebuilding my shack
(small steps) and in the process of renewing my technician class licence
being a former Cable and Telephone guy i have oodles of RG6 and 24 ga twisted pair pots line (Plain Old Telephone Service) so materials are not a issue just needed a cobweb clean out

Thank you all once again for the info CWV

RG6 presents a problem for use with a transmitter.

The shield braid is usually aluminum. The crimped connectors typically used for Cable TV applications are okay so long as they carry no significant current. An ohm or so of contact resistance only disrupts those tiny signals so much.

But the RF current from a transmitter will produce problems similar to the house-fire scandal that followed the use of aluminum house wiring in the late 50s and early 60s. Using it to pass any amount of current will release heat in the crimped shield connections. This will accelerate oxidation, raise the resistance of the connection inside the plug, and release more heat.

Sort of a downhill-snowball effect.

And if you have a way to solder to aluminum, that would solve the problem. Solder doesn't serve so much as "glue" for your shield connection, but as a metal-to-metal current path where oxygen can't enter.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.