• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna help please!

Jlwhitt77

Jan 24, 2017
DeKalb county Missouri
I have a couple questions about some homebrew antenna set ups.

Lets start with a scanner set up. I've got an old radio shack scanner that the telescopic built in antenna busted on. it has a jack on the back for a portable type antenna. I have removed that jack and installed a female pl-259. My plan is to make a dipole antenna that I can mount on my rooftop. I live 10 miles from the nearest town that I would like to monitor and 40 miles from the other area I would like to monitor. the frequencies I would like to receive are in the155. and 458. range. Is it possible to build two separate antennas tuned for those frequencies, run those two antennas backwards into a splitter then from the splitter into my scanner? Also will these antennas need a choke on them? Is there a simpler way of achieving my goal?

Second question; I am also planning on a center fed dipole t2lt homebrew set up made of coax for a base station. I've got an old cobra 29 that's been tuned. It dead keys at 3 and peeks at about 7. With a properly tuned antenna how well should I expect to be able to transmit?

I'm new to all of this and after researching the web I am finding out there is a lot of wery confusin information about radio. lol

Is it possible to build two separate antennas tuned for those frequencies, run those two antennas backwards into a splitter then from the splitter into my scanner?
One Discone will cover those nicely.

Second question; I am also planning on a center fed dipole t2lt homebrew set up made of coax for a base station.
Vertical or horizontal?

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
A female PL-259 is called an SO-239. Diploes for vhf/uhf frequencies would be very small and wouldn't work very well mounted horizontally. Follow w9cll's advise and pick up a discone or other outdoor scanner antenna. I think Radio Shack still sells one.

A female PL-259 is called an SO-239. Diploes for vhf/uhf frequencies would be very small and wouldn't work very well mounted horizontally. Follow w9cll's advise and pick up a discone or other outdoor scanner antenna. I think Radio Shack still sells one.
this is the home brew section, right? looking now how to home brew a discone fore desired frequencies. thanks for educating on SO-239

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.