• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna on Headach rack

undertaker

Undertaker
Apr 5, 2006
Texas
Just got a new headache rack for my pick up. Just for fun was thinking about mounting my sirio trucker on it. Question is will it work?

on a headache rack a center or top loaded antenna will perform a lot better than a base loaded antenna,,,,hince a trucker mirror mount of some kind,,,, sirio is a fine choice,,,i did a wilson 5000 on the luggage rack on my blazer and was really surprised on the range i got,,, but went ahead and drilled a hole and put a base load wilson 5000 on it and could not tell any difference,,,good luck on your install

Reactions: undertaker
Kinda sort of but not really…
Raising the antenna two feet above your ground plane will increase ground losses as well as drastically increasing common mode current problems. Most people are happy to be able to talk 3 miles though so it wouldn't matter in that case. On top of a headache rack as opposed to on top of a large flat sheet metal roof, about 90% of the performance will be lost mounted on top of the headache rack.
downloadfile-3.png downloadfile-4.png

Lots of good reading here.
http://www.k0bg.com/antmount.html

Last edited:
Reactions: jessejamesdallas
Raising the antenna two feet above your ground plane will increase ground losses as well as drastically increasing common mode current problems. Most people are happy to be able to talk 3 miles though so it wouldn't matter in that case. On top of a headache rack as opposed to on top of a large flat sheet metal roof, about 90% of the performance will be lost mounted on top of the headache rack.
View attachment 22132 View attachment 22133

Lots of good reading here.
http://www.k0bg.com/antmount.html
You took my post the wrong way, I was responding to yours using a different take but essentially saying the same thing.

Another example,

A definite possibility of a sure maybe.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
20171130_140408.jpg20171130_140408.jpg 20171130_140427.jpg Works fine on the headache rack if you have done your bonding properly. I have done this with good results, beats a mirror mount on a big truck! I agree that it's not as good as hard roof mount. However our 2 trucks set up this way, perform very well.20171130_140427.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.