• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna Suggestions

tankthebiker

Feb 12, 2014
Hello all,

I am in need of an upgraded mobile antenna for my rig. I will be running a Cobra 29LX into a Texas Star 399 and am looking into an antenna that will handle the power. My grandad suggested a Wilson 1000 as an industry standard but I would like to get yalls opinions on what yall run. I have a 2013 Toyota Tundra and am looking at a mag mount right now as I just can't bring myself to drill into a new truck.

Thanks

Tank

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

My grandad suggested a Wilson 1000 as an industry standard

At one time this was a true statement about the 1000/5000 antennas, but as Wilson has changed hands the quality of the product has gone downhill.
Use the Forum search feature at the top of the page and search for Wilson 5000 to see some of the many posts about the antenna.
At one time I highly recommend the wilson 5000, but no more.
From reviews here on the forum, the Sirio 5000 Seems to be holding the top spot for a good no hassle mobile antenna.
I will continue to stick with my 20 year old francis 96" whip even if I do have to wear gloves to touch it.

Jeff

The Wilson antennas are good, i have a newer 1000, no complaints from me. Talks 20+ miles with little effort. Not gonna find a better plug and play antenna for $70. Unless you are running high power (over 3000 watts) I wouldn't bother with the 5000.

yes the Wilson 1000/5000 will work, but its only a matter of time before the antenna takes on moisture, mine was less than a year, and then you will be buying the sirio 5000 anyways,,

Reactions: 3 people
I am definitely looking at the sirio. Can't seem to find one right now. Any other brands

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Make sure to get a good tri or quad mag mount if you plan on using the 10k or similar, JMO.

Which antenna is 'best'? I ain't going there, just too many variations on how/where/etc, you you have on that sort of thingy. If I had to recommend anything, I'd say that a "drill the hole" kind'a antenna is going to be better than any other type. And then it's a matter of where that 'hole' is gonna be drilled. On the roof it the 'best' place. After that it's a matte of what you can manage, sort of. Work through all the 'butts' and do the best that you can. That means that if you can't put the thing on the roof, where can you put it that isn't going to be worse tha other places? It isn't a matter of height really, it's a matter of being away from obstructions around the @#$ antenna. Antennas hate being -next-/-beside- metal. They'd rather be above metal, you know? So, where can you mount the thing to get it above metal rather than beside metal? Where ever that is, that's better than someplace else. If you wanna know why, then you'd better start learning about reactance and exactly what that means. Oh, that's fun!
So, what'da ya think? Wanna go to that trouble? Or, are you willing to accept a compromise and do it like everyone else does?
- 'Doc

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated