• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

antron 99 vs shakespear big stick

I was reading that you can take a dipole and put a reflector below it and will work good for local and out few 100 miles. Signal goes up mainly but bounces around in all directions. Might be somthing to try if you have hills around you.

Reactions: Junebug
Just run it below the dipole. Start at about 4 ft to 4 and a half ft apart. Reflector should be about 5 percent longer than dipole. Just tie it between 2 supports like you would the dipole itself. Never tried it but was reading about it on a ham antenna site. Its called a cloud warmer or a N.V.I.S. Put that in your search and it should come up. The army uses this.At least thats what the guy writing the article said.

Reactions: Junebug
How many different models of Base antennas did
Shakespear Big Stick make???
I had an original Big Stick which was less than
16ft, not sure of exact length. No longer have it.
I have (2) 16 ft Big Sticks. I can't see the markings
on the one, but, dug other one out and it has
Super Big Stick written on it.

I don't think the cloud burner will work at 11 meters. And on the Bigstick I think there were 3 models counting the new one.

The reason i was wondering was i heard people
talk about an 18ft and 21 ft Big Stick.
I know of the less than 16ft model and 16 ft model.
And of heard of the 21ft model.
If the 18ft model exists then they must of made 4
different types. If not, then only 3.

I dug my other 16ft big stick out the other day. The
labels are not as badly worn as the other one.
It has Super Big Stick stamped on it.
I gave my friend my original big stick years ago.
He still has it in his shed. I'm going to stop and
measure it someday. From memory i think it was
shorter than 16ft, but, i could be wrong.
Maybe the 18ft model is a Super-Super Big stick....LOL
Or Super Big Stick II or something.
I lost track of there later models as i started using the 18ft A-99.

Antron 99 vs Shakespeare big stick

I've had several big stick antennas and one Antron 99, not a lot to choose between the two, the Shakespeare just about got the nod. The Antron 99 caused a lot of RFI to TV and audio equipment, not my own, and after many unsuccessful attempts to eradicate the problem, it was returned to backup storage. All my Shakespeare antennas, including the ABS 1600, over time developed the same problem in that the SWR shifted down to the 17m band where it was 1:1.2 at resonance, the original design frequency resonance was unworkable with the inbuilt aamu and required something with greater matching range. A friend of mine had exactly the same problem with his ABS 1600. Other than that, both antennas, Antron 99 and Big Stick variants were tough enough to withstand the rigors of inclement weather, and apart from occasional UV maintenance and checks on coaxial sealant, (I use coax seal) you could install both and forget about them for long periods. About eight turns of coax below the connector acts as simple RF choke, something I use on all similar vertical antennas, it did nothing for the Antron 99 problems, but a radio works line isolator did nothing either.

the shakespeare big stick # 176 (if that's the model you have) is a coaxial halfwave dipole with less bandwidth, less gain, (if we pretend that the A99 is just an end fed half wave vertical) handles a fraction of the power of the A99 with no where near the wind survival rating. it's so pathetic as a matter of fact that now it's called the 176-1 and is marketed as a marine cb antenna. both manufacturers also lied in equal amounts when it came to the advertised gain ratings.

i hear they make great fishing rods.

The above is absolute CRAP. I have two big sticks now, and one has been up on my tower for 30+ years without any problems, through sever winters, and has handled a KW without any problems. The other is on my other house, and was in service in Fla for many years, through hurricane weather many times, also without any problems. When anyone has been using any of the other COPIES for that long, come see me .

They are a great,simple, no tune,basic antenna, and I have talked all over the US with mine.

And the marine antenna has much better quality than ANY cb antenna, with all brass fittings and all tinned connections and wire, with very heavy construction to handle the poundings they receive at sea. Something that you will never find on a cb antenna .

Packrat, yes that post is 100% BS! Around here they are very popular and some guys will pay top dollar for one in decent cond. They are MUCH better than any A99. Yes they are not as broad banded but weather wise they hold up much longer. Some of the 176 Big Sticks have been up since the CB craze of the late 1970s! Thats over 30+ years so they cant be that bad! I know of one right now on the side of a vacant house here in town that id like to get. I just need to find out who owns the house so i can go get the antenna.:D

The reason i was wondering was i heard people
talk about an 18ft and 21 ft Big Stick.
I know of the less than 16ft model and 16 ft model.
And of heard of the 21ft model.
If the 18ft model exists then they must of made 4
different types. If not, then only 3.

They made a Super Big Stick 2 that had a matching pigtail. I had that particular one and the end were the pigtail attched to the antenna kept falling apart. It had a copper strap that was flimsy. I ended up junking it and getting an A99. That was years back.

I had a pogo stick that was their 10 meter antenna. top 2/3s was aluminum. Bottom 1/3 was fiberglass. It worked pretty well.

I used to have a big stick, I remember it had "176" on it. I think it may have been the super big stick. I do recall it was a 2 piece 'glass antenna, the longest piece was 10' and the shorter one was 8'.

I also remember the SWR was closer to 2.0:1 on Ch 40 but was a good 1.0:1 on Channel 1 and IIRC, less than 1.5:1 on Channel 20....which has me thinking it may have been from the 23 channel days of CB radio.

It was my first and only 11 M base station antenna so I can't compare or contrast. Sold it for $30 and it took me a long time to sell it. Guy I sold it to was going to use it for a 10 M antenna. Then I got my first 10 M radio for Christmas and have to revert to a dipole. Sorta wished I had big stick back now. Maybe I'll luck out and find an A99 for cheap.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?