• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Any Astro Plane Fans ?

FYI, the MFJ 259b is down again. So building anything except by use of a SWR meter is out of the question.
MFJ wants $95 - $125 for parts, then apparently more for labor. Too costly to fix seeing it can't be counted on to remain useful.
I'll be looking at something else when the budget permits.

FYI, the MFJ 259b is down again. So building anything except by use of a SWR meter is out of the question.
MFJ wants $95 - $125 for parts, then apparently more for labor. Too costly to fix seeing it can't be counted on to remain useful.
I'll be looking at something else when the budget permits.
Homer, I had that happen to mine. I was taking a reading on my mobile antenna in the driveway and heard my radio talking without an antenna, looked up and saw a black truck with a 102" whip on the toolbox drive by and figured he must have a healthy mobile to hit nearly full meter with no antenna on the 148.
Then I went back to my test and saw 000 for swr & reactance, etc. Fried it with his RF as the antenna was on the meter when he drove by.
Any idea why yours died?

Last edited:
It reads no lower than 8:1 and other parameters are off. Even on a simple dipole I can build with one hand tied behind my back and the other one scratching chiggers. Disagrees with every other SWR bridge I have.
Why? Maybe I dropped it, but dont think that's it...
My guess... poor quality. I have the old 209 also, and it went to the shop with the 259 in Dec. 2014.
This 259 has been under-utilized since then, and now won't read correctly.
Either I save up for a year for something better, or try something that isn't vhf/uhf capable and then save up for a second unit.

Reactions: Needle Bender
It reads no lower than 8:1 and other parameters are off. Even on a simple dipole I can build with one hand tied behind my back and the other one scratching chiggers. Disagrees with every other SWR bridge I have.
Why? Maybe I dropped it, but dont think that's it...
My guess... poor quality. I have the old 209 also, and it went to the shop with the 259 in Dec. 2014.
This 259 has been under-utilized since then, and now won't read correctly.
Either I save up for a year for something better, or try something that isn't vhf/uhf capable and then save up for a second unit.
Homer did you check the wiring to the SO-239 inside the top of the 259B?
With all the in & out & spinning of the connector I'm wondering if it's lost a connection or frayed to a short?

I hope you don't use a spike tip like he uses Homer,
anytime you have to hold an iron on that long its the wrong tip or wrong iron & asking to lift traces & melt things,

That's almost as bad as the Ten-Tec guy showing us how to put plugs on coax.

I have multiple tips on different irons.
Looked it over, but saw nothing visibly wrong. Touched each solder for a remelt, then touched 3 more elsewhere on the board that were less shiny/clean looking than most. Put it back together and it seems to be working now. Thanks all

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated