• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Any compare a UR6QW 8 band EQ with an W2IHY EQ or EQ Plus?

Onelasttime

Aug 3, 2011
$100 is so much more attractive than what W2IHY wants for his gear! Wondering how it compares is it 75% 85% 95% of what you get with W2IHY? I am going to put this in front of my enhanced receive and transmit mod President Lincoln when I get it. I will have to rewire the mic input and out put maybe put in some channel up down switches on the unit so I can use cobra 4 pin mics on the input but retain the up down features. In theory this should make the need to use a electret condenser mic unnecessary. I like the idea of being able to approach the audio quality of an ESSB rig with out actually taking up that much bandwidth. The Lincoln uses a 5Khz wide crystal filter from the OEM. Im proving the -3db down point at the bottom and top and being able to shape your audio with EQ, Delay and a hint of echo for ambiance not to actually have an echo should really make this unit come alive on AM and SSB.

I like the idea of having just a bit of compression and being able to add bass for am and ssb rag chewing but being able to take it all out and boost high end for contesting.

I wonder how hard it would be to run the audio through this and than back into the radio or out to an external amp and speaker? Being able to adjust the eq and compression for incoming audio would kick butt! The only problem I can see is that you would be busy working the knobs with each changing station.

Since his products are so much cheaper to purchase than W2IHY's it would be interesting to hear an A-B comparisons. I would never allow myself to spend what W2IHY wants for his gear on an accessory to an other wise perfectly operational radio. At the end of the day the only thing that matters is what the guy or gal on the other end is hearing everything else is kind of moot(sp) point and very academic at best!!

Makes me wonder what his gear would sound like on a direct inject box???

P.S. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in case I do not get back on. If I offended you by this oh well!

The eq goes to the mic input. Your mic plugs into the front of it and then there is a cord to the radio. You can most likely have the mic ends you want placed on before you order one. They do sell them for a variety of HF radios. I haven't used one myself, but he does have videos showing what it does and where to set up your radio, being an HF radio. Never seen one of those particular eq's used or heard of one being used on a CB radio. I am sure it will work fine. What you want to look for is what frequencies he using for the equalizer. I think he also sells one that has more frequencies as well. Don't confuse these with the generic ones that are being sold on eBay. His upgraded ones cost $135 I think. Can't remember. But just like any other EQ or outboard gear, setting it up right and also having the correct frequencies as far as the EQ is concerned is what I would be looking at. Yes it does have compression and also shows you when you are set up right. Having a good receiver to hear what you sound like is a good idea as well. Also here is a couple of photos of the 8 band eq he sells for $135 as well. It does sport more frequencies and other options as well. But in the end, you have to set it up right to make it sound good. They don't appear to be a bad eq and the reviews are pretty good about them. Have thought about one for my Icom 746, but just don't think it's absolutely necessary with the way I have my radio setup. But anyways, if you get one, let us know how it works. As far as comparing to the other EQ you have listed, the W2IHY, IDK how they compare. Again, look at the freqs that are being used and it will give you an idea of which one might be better. Thw price alone even for the 8 band eq he has is a good price if they work as advertised, which I'm sure they most likely do. Anyhow. Here are the pics of both units. Again, if you get one, keep us posted as to how it works. Am curious myself!!
Have a Merry Christmas to All!!
73 and God Bless.

Attachments

• IMG_5393.PNG
    IMG_5393.PNG
    235.3 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_5394.PNG
    IMG_5394.PNG
    229.6 KB · Views: 500
  • IMG_5395.PNG
    IMG_5395.PNG
    168.9 KB · Views: 329

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated